Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally managed to grow parsnips !
    (using the loo roll method)

I only grew half a dozen, so I've eaten half of them already and will save the other 3 for Xmas dinner

Next year I'll be sowing 100s now I know how to grow them
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've already pulled about a third of mine. They weren't huge, but sizeable and the taste was mighty fine! Only yesterday I made a vegetable curry with my homegrown parsnips, courgettes and tomatoes. Curried parsnip is MMMM MMMMMMMM!!! Got another 3 portions to go at, too!

Two sheds, I started all mine on the window sill in my dining room. Less hassle than the loo roll method!

Comment

we cant understand the fuss about parsnips...we just put ours in the raised bed and they grow....maybe cos it is fresh compost....any ideas???

Comment

Originally posted by markwcel View Post
          we cant understand the fuss about parsnips...we just put ours in the raised bed and they grow....maybe cos it is fresh compost....any ideas???
          Do you sow seed direct into raised beds?
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

yeah we do...one row nearly ready...and another row planted a fortnight ago coming thru now

Comment

OK, forgot to ask this, what compost do you use? I'm assuming no stones in compost so no forking of parsnips and the high humus content of fresh compost will retain moisture to promote germination and good growth.

It's good to hear you are sowing so late too as my parsnips were planted out about a month ago (loo roll method) and coming on strong.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

we use levingtons multi purpose...

Comment

I had another small lot that I sowed as a trial, and pulled 3 today - they were great. Sown on kitchen roll March/April time and laid on the top of sand/compost mix once they had sprouted. Covered with a layer of compost and left alone ever since.

Roasted today with spuds and carrots. Lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by markwcel View Post
                    we use levingtons multi purpose...
                    Well there you go, everything would grow in that!
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I love parsnips and have a good recipe for parsnip soup .

So would like to grow parsnips are they easy to grow and is it in the spring you sow.

Comment

I haven't attempted parsnips yet - mainly because they are notoriously difficult to grow! I think the main problem people have is in getting the seed to germinate, after that I guess it can't be any harder than growing a decent carrot?? Mind you, I've not had any decent carrots yet, they've all forked like mad. You don't half get some interesting shapes... So I don't think I'm going to try parsnips until I've mastered carrots.
                        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

i sowed some in june that never appeared, then i sowed some indoors that didn't do anything either, then i sowed a different type (mini ones) in the ground in july, that have huge leaves now and tiny parsnips........ then after reading the seeds should be fresh every year, i dug a square metre of lawn up, beginning of august and sowed the rest of the pack and covered with compost ..... and there are loads of them just shows how hit and miss they can be i guess.

Comment

I sowed mine directly into the garden bed and they are just forming bottoms on them now. I have never tried any other way as this has been a fail safe way here over the years.

See them in front row - My Blog header photo.
                            I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

After just eating another of my parsnips, I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing by getting them as early as possible.
                              It didn't taste as good as it should have done, it could have been a bad tasting one, but the thing that annoyed me, was the bit getting tough in the centre.
                              Lets say I sowed them in July, they would not get too big before the winter (and they got their frost), you could even plant them alot closer than usual and they should be their lovely smallish tender selves.

What do you all think?
                              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I don't think parsnips are difficult to grow at all once past the germination stage. The sweetness certainly improves after the first frosts, although young and tender is great too. (rather than cutting bits off around the core of great woody things.) the smaller ones here are from late sowings.

I just can't understand why you're all pulling them now. There is so much to eat at this time of year and they are a fresh staple for the winter months...they will be just fine where they are (except if full of carrot fly)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X