No announcement yet.

Giant Marrow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you fone him up he will tell you if they are still available & might know where to get the sunflower seed from. He's quite approachable even for a welshman

Most of the giant veg seed comes from the states (everything is big over there - heads, mouths ) But I guess that Russian Giant must be a big one mind you thats about 8-10ft tall !!

I'll have a think
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Didn't win the carrot competition

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
      Ideally you need to build a four sided enclosure from timber or brick. You then fill this with sand. When planting a carrot seed take a decent size stick, push it into the stand and using a circular motion make a hole that looks like a mould for a cornetto! (ie circular and wider at the top than the bottom) Fill this with a silver sand / compost or peat ( ) mix and put 3 seeds in the top. Your carrot will then grow to fill the compost space, discarding the two weeker seeds if all 3 germinate...producing a lenghty specimin.
      I am sad to announce that despite Geordie's best advice I failed to win the longest carrot competition. An equine incident involving a wheelie bin full of lovely looking carrots (Tip for others; Horses can stretch a LONG way when a lovely tasty carrot beckons.....) robbed me of my best chance and I was forced to enter the backup carrots.

The longest carrot entry was 51cm but should really have been in the misshapen section. The best looking carrot (1 1/2 inch diameter at the top, tailing down to a good long root) only managed 49 cm.

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid. We tried, we failed, we partied the night away, we felt rough as a badger's bum the next day. All good fun and we're all up for next year.
      Dave

Do what you enjoy, or learn to enjoy what you do - life is too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
        Yes Jaxom very funny. But to return to the subject just how do you get enormous marrows off the ground. Into the car boot (without breaking the suspension) and then onto the show bench without doing your back in!!
        With a couple of strapping lads to do the liftin while you direct operations!
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X