No announcement yet.

Come on then! How are those parsnips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine are big and leafy too but I'm still worried that they'll all be forked. They were in their modules for too long and their roots were showing when I planted them. Parsnip soup and mash for us this year!
    Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
      Mine are big and leafy too but I'm still worried that they'll all be forked.
      Oh come on, what's this - entice Wayne day?
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

ROFL .... darn he spotted it
        aka
        Suzie

Comment

mine are doing well but had to dig wide hole to plant loo roll with parsnip in middle!
          does all that paper on the roll keep them warm and then add mulch to the soil for next year. if it helps we use recycled loo rolls unbleached.
          this will be a battle from the heart
          cymru am byth

Comment

Thanks to the Dobby's I finally got some parsnip seed that germinated. The sprouted seeds were carefully transferred to loo roll inners but no sign of the greenery popping through yet. this is my first go at growing them so quite excited. I transferred 30 sprouted seeds so will be interested to see how many get to planting out stage
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

First attempt nowt. Replace seed.... Second attempt - blotting paper method - turned black, no shoots. Second attempt v2 - blotting paper method but different location - turned black, no shoots. This is getting tedious. Third attempt threw some into modules, cursed 'em and went away for a week.... and seedlings appeared. Now not sure if it's absence or cursing that's the key. bb

Comment

Mine are still sulking in their loo roll middles - no sign of anything yet (although I didn't do anything beforehand, just plonked straight into the compost). That was about a month ago - may poke some sweetcorn seed in there tonight instead rather than waste the compost and neatly set up middles!!

Comment

I didn't bother chitting - just bunged them in a couple of months ago and they are growing away happily under fleece with the carrots. I'm about to sow a second batch so I've got a some to enjoy much later in the year.

Comment

i havent had a problem, i planted some out from modules grown in the greenhouse a few weeks ago and they are growing very green and not been attacked by anything at all, so now i am gonna try in the next few weeks to sow direct, so i get some later in the year as well.

Fingers crossedx

Comment

we just planted ours in a row in the raised bed...cpl of weeks later and they are all thru..

guess we were lucky with ours

Comment

I have 4 with one little leaf out on them, and they have been in since end of March. Well I guess it's better than none for my first go with them.

Comment

I have 6 (from an original 10) in the ground that I germinated on damp kitchen roll, then put into loo roll tubes before putting in the ground. They are doing really well. I planted about 30 more in very large tubs a few weeks ago, using the boiling water method and they are just coming through now.
                          pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chitted on paper covered left by a radiator little root came . Planted direct
                            98% came up no problem,All spaced just right worked a treat.
                            The force is strong in this one!

Comment

I think Storm bunged some in the lottie a few weeks ago - I know a few have come up because i heard him swear when he accidentally pulled one up. Hope they continue to grow, I love nips.
                              We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                              Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

I sowed new seed in gutter in greenhouse as an experiment on the 7 feb , they were up by 10 mach and transferred to ground with a bit of protection as soon as they had first true leave ...... and now there bloomin lovely AND whats more it fooled the slugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X