Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momol View Post
    Claire,
    I saw the potatoes seeds in the Garden Centre ( in NL), they are much bigger in size ( close to the chicken eggs) but again perhaps it is really depending on the variety I guess .
    The salad blue will be very pretty, I read it somewhere, it has beautifull purple/ reddish leaves and very charming blue flowers( they will produce berries too). Did you bought them because of the colout too ?

Nevi
    Yes, my choosing was very unscientific! I just picked things I liked the sound of!

Yipppiee my Highland Burgundy Red and Salad Blue potatoe seeds are chitting.... The tiny shoots are around 2 mm to 0.6 cm.
    I wonder how are Seahorse and Veg's seeds potatoes doing.

Momol
    Mine are chitting too. Very small shoots so far though. I might make a record of how it goes. I don't suppose it makes much (if any) difference to final harvest but it might be interesting to do a real start-to-finish survey of several varieties.

Veg,
    Why don't you set them at the eggs box/ casing and write their names individually on the eggs casing/box where the seeds being place, this way you will know exactly what they are... and then you can chit them by the window
    That's what I've done... though of course there's no guarantee some junior member of the household won't do a bit of rearranging!
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Seahorse,

I am going to do a bit of experiment too, heard that SB not very productive, will give them several size of pots and fertilizer and note the result and compre the final result... will also do it to the HBR to see the different...

What are your plan for their growing medium ? I will use manured compost for them and feed them with potato fertilizer ( granular)...:

Momol
      Last edited by momol; 21-01-2008, 02:32 PM.
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Have no experience of the strain you mention; the interesting thing i find is that you have no idea of the flavour they might have. Whilst i suppose that one of the reasons we might grow something is to see how it performs from a climate or performance point of view, the prime consideration has surely to be flavour. I might like the look of something but if it doen't taste anything like, it's no good. For this reason, when selecting any purchases, I enquire particularly into the flavour side of things - when it's on the plate is not the time to find out it's total rubbish!!

Comment

I get your point Hope@51b but again how do you know the taste if you can't purchase and taste it ? Obviously the only way will be growing it first and then taste it...

Welcome to the vine

Momol
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Conservation Potatoes link

Quick useful links to information on heritage or conservation potatoes (for future ref):

Alan Romans - Conservation Potatoes

Potatoes

Some info on growing potatoes in pots including heritage potatoes:

Potatoes in pots / containers - DIVERSITY WEBSITE
            Food for Free

Comment

Seahorse,

I am going to do a bit of experiment too, heard that SB not very productive, will give them several size of pots and fertilizer and note the result and compre the final result... will also do it to the HBR to see the different...

What are your plan for their growing medium ? I will use manured compost for them and feed them with potato fertilizer ( granular)...:

Momol
              I'm going to plant most of mine on the lottie, so some will be planted through my manure/cardboard mulch and others the 'no dig' way by leaving them on top of the mulch and earthing up as they grow. I'm going to try and do at least one of each in pots at home too, then if we have another appalling summer and my lottie floods again, I might at least be able to look after them!

Originally posted by Hope@51b View Post
              Have no experience of the strain you mention; the interesting thing i find is that you have no idea of the flavour they might have. Whilst i suppose that one of the reasons we might grow something is to see how it performs from a climate or performance point of view, the prime consideration has surely to be flavour. I might like the look of something but if it doen't taste anything like, it's no good. For this reason, when selecting any purchases, I enquire particularly into the flavour side of things - when it's on the plate is not the time to find out it's total rubbish!!
              I'm perfectly happy to find something is rubbish, even if it gets to the plate first! I've looked at general descriptions but taste is such a personal thing. I can buy only an extremly limited selection of 'different' eating potatoes locally, so 'suck it and see' is the best method for me
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

Just reviving this thread to say that I managed to get some Heritage potatoes from Sainsbury today (from their TTD range). They're half price at the moment (99p) for a pack of 1.5kg potatoes in the choice of British Queen and Edzell Blue, maybe they had more but only found these two. I checked that they're from a grower in Perthshire, Scotland. I'm going to set aside some for growing .
                Last edited by veg4681; 31-01-2008, 09:13 PM.
                Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X