• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veg4681
    Bet you want some, don't you?
    Moi?

To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Have anyone tried it before ? I am just hoping to have the time...oh boy always get tempted with new project...

momol
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Anybody growing Shetland Black? I have tasted them, and seem to remember they were beautiful, but I was somewhat put off by the black marks, it looked as though they had some form of blight! Can someone convince me to grow them?
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I also grew them Jennie - but even more so than the highland burgundy, they got 'lost' in the dark soil! It was about 6 years ago and I got one of each of 6 varieties as little plants. Interesting experiment I wouldn't mind repeating in a better growing year! They cook better than they look!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I haven't grow Shetland Black yet Jennie but it suppose to be less dark than the Salad Blue. As SB is also very high in pigment (said to be anticancer) it should be taken as a positive consideration....
            Like Flum said, it is difficult to harvest due to it's dark colour but if it is grown in pots it should somehow make it easier to locate each and every tuber during harvest.
            Hope somebody come out with more convincing persuasion....

Momol

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
              As SB is also very high in pigment (said to be anticancer) it should be taken as a positive consideration....
              Hope somebody come out with more convincing persuasion....

Momol
              That's got to be the biggest persuasion for me! (And I wasn't even thinking of growing them )

Comment

Sarah,

Any rich colour veggies are good including all deep colour potatoes ( Shetland Black, Blue Salad,Highland Burgundy Red, Congo...) as for taste and productivity wise, we have to ask the experienced grapes who grows them before...

Momol

Comment

Chitting

Yipppiee my Highland Burgundy Red and Salad Blue potatoe seeds are chitting.... The tiny shoots are around 2 mm to 0.6 cm.
                  I wonder how are Seahorse and Veg's seeds potatoes doing....

Momol

Comment

Mine are still in the envelope to separate them from mixing. I opened few and they're definitely starting to chit. I have 8 different heritage potatoes , 1 tuber each but I daren't take them out of their envelopes, can I leave them in there?

BTW what cropping groups do these heritage potatoes belong to:

Salad Blue
                    Highland Burgundy Red
                    Shetland Black
                    Witchhill
                    Yetholm Gypsy

Only last night I sorted out my other non-heritage potatoes for laying in the egg trays but there are so many I had to write the vareity name on the potatoes themselves. If my son messed them up, I'm so dead.
                    Food for Free

Comment

Veg,

Have a look at the Alan romans web at the conservations potatoes:
                      Alan Romans - Conservation Potatoes
                      there you will find out which are main crop(HBR),early maincrop(SB) etc.

Why don't you set them at the eggs box/ casing and write their names individually on the eggs casing/box where the seeds being place, this way you will know exactly what they are... and then you can chit them by the window...

Comment

Oh dear... I forgot your son...is there any spot he can't reach ? but still cool and get some light ? that will be the perfect spot ( free and save from him messing around)...
                        momol

Comment

I've looked at Alan Romans website but all 5 conservation potatoes are under the category Conservation only unlike other non-heritage potatoes are categorised by its cropping group. I can't get no information from T&M either! I thought you might know at least the 2 of your conservation potatoes (Blue & Burgundy Red) with the growing instruction which surely must say what they are, earlies or maincrop. Kind of stuck here for that.

SORRY, didn't read each description properly. He could have written that out right at the top for God Sake!
                          Last edited by veg4681; 20-01-2008, 08:12 PM.
                          Food for Free

Comment

If you don't really know it doesn't matter that much, just grow them and when they start to produce flower ( means the tuber are starting to fatten up, don't harvest yet) wait until the plant turn yellow and start to dry/die(another 2 weeks or 3)...time to harvest...

my first potato growing was Bintje ( or nicola, don't remember), did the same trick and finally found out that they are main crop ( from counting the time it took to grow).
                            But to be sure, post it on and hopefully the experience grape with tell you...

Momol
                            Last edited by momol; 20-01-2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I took the trouble to skim thru the descriptions against each conservation potato but only for Yetholm Gypsy he bothers telling it's an Early Maincrop !

Useless Mr Alan Romans or does he not know this info himself!!!

I guess I could treat them all as 2nd Earlies as a safe bet!
                              Last edited by veg4681; 20-01-2008, 08:26 PM.
                              Food for Free

Comment

They are all main crop for sure and the more detail info will show from the potatoes flowers... but it will only differ for 3 week or so, don't worry, just enjoy the gardening....
                                momol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X