Root Trainer!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eden View Post
    I had a go at making my own root trainers out of empty 2 litre pop bottles. Cut off the top and bottom so you are left with a tube, then cut this from top to bottom, then again on the opposite side so that you are left with 2 curved pieces of plastic. Gently roll one up, and pop an elastic band to the top and bottom of tube to hold in place. When you have filled them all up stand in a tray and place a large elastic band round all of them to keep them standing upright.
    Another great moneysaver to try! Thanks Eden
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Comment

My pleasure! I always try to find cheaper home made alternatives. I'm trying to find something to use as Ecomesh, at £15 a go it seems very expensive! I might try old net curtains, so I'll be scouring the charity shops for some!

Comment

Hi all
        Being very new to growing, I had heard about root trainers was wondering what they were and did. after reading this thread I have not only learned what they do but how to make them and save money.
        thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Hi there

I use them, but i fold them a bit to make the roots go downwards when they hit the sides. To do this, I squash the circle into a flat, and do it again to make it square. Then fold the straight bits in so that it becomes a sort of star shape. Then use.
          Like this?

Last edited by 21again; 23-03-2010, 06:14 PM.
          Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

You can buy used Rootrainers cheaply here;

eBay Seller: hendersonles: Home Garden items on eBay.co.uk

Their service is excellent!
            Last edited by Glutton4...; 23-03-2010, 07:16 PM.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              You can buy used Rootrainers cheaply here;

eBay Seller: hendersonles: Home Garden items on eBay.co.uk

Their service is excellent!
              I ordered some from here last week and then got an email to say they were very sorry but they were short on used ones and hope it's OK that we're sending new ones instead

Top Sellers if you ask me!
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Originally posted by Eden View Post
                My pleasure! I always try to find cheaper home made alternatives. I'm trying to find something to use as Ecomesh, at £15 a go it seems very expensive! I might try old net curtains, so I'll be scouring the charity shops for some!
                Join your local Freegle or Freecycle, that's where I got my net curtains for my carrots from. Free (you just have to collect) and net curtains aren't as popular on there as things like TVs.

I picked up some long pieces of wood for making a frame to go over my veg patch and also loads of plant pots just tonight.

If you live between different towns, join each one. I'm in between Harrogate and York, so I joined them, and also joined Leeds. I moved from St. Helens, so I also joined the St. Helens group and the Warrington group and my parents or sister can could collect if I wanted them to.

Set up a new email address for the site though, as, if you have the sites set up for an email to come through each time something's posted, you get loads of emails. You can set it so that it sends you one email per day from each site, but then you can miss out on loads of stuff, especially popular things.

Comment

I know this thread is old, but my query is in rootrainers so I’m gonna stick it here anyway...
                  Has anyone tried those rigid rootrainers? I have the book type ones which I love. Unfortunately the kids find them fascinating, and it’s only a matter of time before they are accidentally destroyed.
                  The rigid ones (Nutley) seem like a good solution/compromise, but in reality, does one end up destroying the lovely roots when getting it out?

Comment

If you are referring to the 5in. deep cell trays, I use a 6in. nail and push the plants out with the nail head never had any bother with the root system breaking up, lf you have smaller fingers than mine you may be able to put you finger through the base hole
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Yes, that’s the sort. Good to know you have success with them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X