No announcement yet.

Mayan Gold Spuds!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have been really interested reading all the threadsand can't wait to visit saisbury and Tesco.but can I have some advice please? How do i store them until the planting season next year or am I missing something.Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
      have been really interested reading all the threadsand can't wait to visit saisbury and Tesco.but can I have some advice please? How do i store them until the planting season next year or am I missing something.Thank you all
      You do not because the potato growers spray them with chit suppression spray to stop them chitting .
      Myself and Snadger have tried it it don.t work so it will have to be alan romans or any other good seed potato supplier i got mine from Ryton just after the potato days (no entry fee) and there you go....jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

How do i store them until the planting season next year or am I missing something.
        Buy them in January
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This thread has reminded me that I planted three Mayan Gold seed potatoes in a tub and have forgotten about them!!
          I will empty the tub this evening and see what I have. (Thank Goodness for all that rain or there would be nothing there)

Comment

From visits to my local Sainburys and Tescos, they aren't yet in stock. I hope they come back as I really did enjoy them last year, even though I have my own Mayan Queen and Mayan Twilight in the ground this year.

Twilight has some unusal markings.

Comment

Mayan Gold spuds

Hi, I see there are a lot of remarks regarding the breaking up of these spuds when boiling them, the reason for this is they DO NOT NEED THE USUAL 20 MINS BOILING ON A HIGH SIMMER, they only need 10 to 12 mins. Also when roasting (after par boiling, then only boil for 5 mins) they fry in less oil and do not absorbe it as much and again the time is halved for cooking

i[I do a lot of roast lunches and dinners, and I now ONLY use these Mayan Gold are exceptional, not only in taste but fabulous crisp outsides and perfect floury inside. All of my customers withoout exception remark on the roasties!!

Ime in a wheelchair so initially I grew these in bags and with three tubers got over two buckets plus.

They do make a good boiled potato and an exceptional chip, again crisp on the out side ans
              d light on the inside, the other advantage is they again fry in half the normal time.

I am so impressed Ive now done a deal with an able bodied friend who has an allotment that he is putting half of it to Mayan Gold I pay for the seed spuds he does the digging

Sainbury's are still stocking them and tescos have threatened, but Ive NOT seen them there yet and I get a weekly shop at one of the biggest Tesco.

I must see what the price difference is between seed Mayans from the Seedmen and Sainsbury's.

Ive only ever used Certified Seed spuds, and did not use (or think it would work) from "supermarket" spuds.

Has anyone any results from doing this, please let me know?

I hope my info on the cooking of these tasty helps you all.

Oh and there are two other types of Aztec/Mayan spuds sold nut I cannot remember the name, I did grow them last year but did not have such a large crop with them as I did with the "Gold". I got them from T & M but they dont seem to carry them this year.
              Good luck
              Suzi

Comment

Hi

Only Boil them for 10 mins

That is one of the advantages of these wonderful spuds, they take half the time and are absolutely fantastic!!

Ime new on here and Ive not opened up a link properly, but I have replied in full regrding the fantastic roasted spuds these make. I am totally sold on them.

as a cook, these are in my opinion the Best Tasting spud in the world!!
                regards
                Suzi

Comment

I have grown them and kept them going by saving my own seed for a few years but the seed doesn't keep very well and eventually I lost them. They do need very little by way of boiling and cook out very well after draining.

They didn't seem to be particularly prone to blight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X