Woven weed supressing membrane and rain

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woven weed supressing membrane and rain

I have had 2 large and one small currently empty beds covered with a woven weed supressing membrane at least since last autumn and parts even longer than that. I am hoping to use all of them this summer by growing more whilst I can't get out.

The first rain in nearly 6 weeks is forecast for tomorrow. Would it be worth the effort of uncovering to let more rain into the ground to make digging easier.

I am asking would uncovering make much difference as I am not feeling well today but don't want to miss such an opportunity if I can drag myself out to do it.

Silly question I know but just trying to avoid extra effort if I can. Thanks

My understanding is it should let the rain through so personally I wouldn’t bother.
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

It does let rain through, but not all of it, especially if it's on a slope.
      If the soil underneath is thoroughly parched, or if the forecast rain isn't due to last long, I might think about uncovering it, to make full use of the rain. But otherwise, it should be fine just to leave it on.

Comment

The membrane may not let all the rain through but by the same token, it hasn't let all the moisture out. the ground under it is likely to still be damp, so I'd leave it alone.

Comment

Just to update. The ground which had been covered for 18 months was rock hard and fairly dry underneath. I expected it to be wetter after the last winter. I did drag myself out into the garden and uncovered to help the rain penetrate. I also just about managed the fork in an inch or so in a few places and waggle back and forward to ease the surface.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X