X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms-T
    replied
    Look under the leaves , i found 8 really tiny snails ...gone now.

Leave a comment:

• stigs
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post
    I have lots of flowers and a fair number of green fruits coming on my outdoor chillis now. The largest fruit are about 4 inches long (that one is a large variety).
    Having the same issue I had last year, though: snails or slugs climb the plant and munch on the fruit. Any fruits with holes in then quickly rot.
    I go out 2/3 times between sunset and 03:00 to remove slugs in the greenhouse every night, when the season is closed the floor will get more cement

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Got my first ripe chilli today. Lovely red cayenne. First of many I hope.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    I have lots of flowers and a fair number of green fruits coming on my outdoor chillis now. The largest fruit are about 4 inches long (that one is a large variety).
    Having the same issue I had last year, though: snails or slugs climb the plant and munch on the fruit. Any fruits with holes in then quickly rot.

Leave a comment:

• stigs
    replied
    First ripe chillies, happy days
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Chillies left indoors on a kitchen windowsill will take a little longer to fruit - they aren't getting the sun and constant heat as they can get in a GH but you have the added bonus that they will fruit all the way upto Christmas so worth the wait.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 14-07-2020, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    I have my chilli plants on a sunny windowsill this yr. Lots of flowers but no chillies yet

Leave a comment:

• Shortie
    replied
    Scarlet, my chillis were left outdoors a few weeks back and as healthy as they look as a green leaved plant they've done nothing as a chilli, so I would agree here - indoors it is for them as of tomorrow and hopefully they will have time to catch back up and produce some flowers

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    I think it's a bit hit and miss growing chillies outdoors...though chillies do a bit better than sweet peppers.
    it depends if you are expecting a huge crop or happy to pick a handful.
    I don't bother with outdoor chillies anymore - since I've had a GH ( over 10 years) but if I was to choose one it would be Nigel's Outdoor Chilli.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I have an ant colony moved into a long tom pot with one of my Hot Wax in it, the chillie looks fine except for a couple of chewed leaves, do we get leaf cutter ants in Scotland? off to do some googling................................

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by stigs View Post
    Would people who have grown chillies outside successfully list the varieties and any special conditions ie: I have grown sweet peppers against a white south facing wall. I have downgraded from a polytunnel to a greenhouse and have too many plants to keep in there.
    It might be helpful to mention your latitude as you lucky people south of the M4 have an advantage.
    I grew Apache on my allotment through black plastic last year. Got a pretty good crop (50+ fruit per plant, over half of which ripened). I didn't grow them on purpose, mind. I bought them as sweet pepper plants, but they were mislabelled it seems.

This year, I am intentionally growing three mild chilli varieties (through black plastic again): Numex Suave Red, Biquihno, and Beaver Dam. The plants are doing well, with small green fruits on the Beaver Dam plants and plenty of flowers and buds on the others.
    I'll try to remember to do an update in early autumn.

I live in Somerset, so we get a longer season than up north (first frost where I am isn't usually until mid-November), although it can be quite cloudy and damp.

Leave a comment:

• stigs
    replied
    Would people who have grown chillies outside successfully list the varieties and any special conditions ie: I have grown sweet peppers against a white south facing wall. I have downgraded from a polytunnel to a greenhouse and have too many plants to keep in there.
    It might be helpful to mention your latitude as you lucky people south of the M4 have an advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rand
    replied
    Got some RSM appeared on the cluster of cayenne plants. I knew I should have used a sulfur* candle on greenhouse number 1. Toxic chemicals have been applied...

*correct IUPAC approved name. Just got to convince the septics to use aluminium now instead of aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    ^^^ Glad you got the caterpillars before they striped the plant..i do like Hot Wax.....my big Sweet peppers are just beginning to ripen..

annie8....I do know what you mean ...

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I've had a plague of caterpillars in the greenhouse, the chillies took the brunt of the attack, I've squished the pests and the plants seem to be ok throwing out new replacement leaves. Lots of flowers and quite a few Hot Wax and Cayenne, the Sweet peppers are a bit behind them though.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X