No announcement yet.

Growing some early tomatoes 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've no idea what state the 20 or so tomato plants I left at the allotment 2 weeks ago are (though someone has been watering them very kindly), but the remainer I kept in the house appear to be doing well - gave them an outing in the blow-away greenhouse we put up today but brought them in for the evening. Hoping for some warmer weather soon. They have definitely grown faster than I expected (though I was warned), though the cucumbers have been the worst (or fastest) growers.

So far I'm pleased as a first year trial but time will tell - hey could still all end up in the compost heap but I hope not!

20200402_150443 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Comment

• Tomatoes doing well and see big difference in last few week they have really shot up. Just started putting them in the gh during the day but will be a while before I would leave them overnight. Struck by the difference between the types I'm growing. Black icicle more straggly than shirley but remember the were like that last year, much more likely to wilt too. Fab tasting tomatoes though. Didn't start that early this year but happy with where they have got to. Got too many as usual but hopefully will be able to give some away.
      Last edited by annie8; 16-04-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Got my first red tomato.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000769 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	2387119Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000769 (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	2387119
        Last edited by Ms-T; 29-04-2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• When are you going to start feeding their tomatoes? Never quite sure what is meant by ' when they start setting fruit' I have trusses and a flower on my plants.

Comment

• I feed mine when the tomatoes start forming.

Comment

• House tomato

Last edited by Ms-T; 28-05-2020, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• My Toms in the poly tunnel are growing well and just starting to flower. No extra heating or anything just the seed sowed inside in March. I didn't use a grow lights this year as I was feeling pretty ill in January and February so more or less gave up on gardening for a while.

The only extra with the toms this year is that I've put in rainwater gutters for them to stand on, so I can water from below - very Heath Robinson, but so far so good.

Comment

• I’ve got one green tomato on tiny tim sowed in February-

Name:	90850DD6-8D21-4178-8E9E-4844879367C7.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2497797

Comment

• No red tomatoes yet but quite a few green ones. Shirley and black icicle are the furthest on. Planted my last 3 tomatoes into their final bucket pots tonight. All looking good. The spares ones I didn’t give away I stuck out in the beds. I fine outdoor tomatoes tend to look a bit scruffy but still flowering and forming fruit.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	07205368-E9D4-4E5B-9F64-D377A375A85A.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2497860 I’ve got a little cluster of blue indigo fruits forming.
                      Grown from seed circle seed and grown outside in b and q orange buckets - as per helpful advice on this forum last year.
                      Thank you forumites!

Comment

• We've got quite green tomatoes now from our Feb sowings - most productive so far Sungold, The Amateur and one I called Yellow Pear \ Bell which don't seem overly pear shaped but are oval at present - small plants with lots of fruits. Will try and get a photo tomorrow.

Comment

• Got a fair number of green tomatoes on most of the 8 plants I've kept. Been merrily de-armpitting them and doing a better job of it this year than I managed last year. I'm a bit annoyed with the two San Marzano's. How is it possible to remove every single armpit from them and then find a sideshoot the size of a small tree trunk sitting there in plain sight (on each of them)?

Got a bit over enthsiastic on one of the pair of Cuor Di Bue. Managed to pinch out the growing tip. It looks like it might be working on an extra sideshoot to replace it though..
                          Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Harvested the first of the January sown Shirleys from the sitting room windowsill. More coming soon:

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2498248
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Got the first tiny fertilised tomato on one of my plants and almost all of the plants are now in flower so hopefully I will get a crop ..... eventually :-)

Comment

• My earliest tomatoes to ripen.
                                Maskotka, we have had 9 tomatoes from the plant so far.
                                Fed up trying to post pics.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...