Autumn planted Green Manures

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John.
    That gives us a much better idea of your plans.
    The kale may be attacked by pigeons - especially at seedling stage. If you could drape some fleece over them it might help - although they may still flatten them!
    I'd sow some field beans after the potatoes as they will improve the soil, provide plenty of compost material and give you beans to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by john4576 View Post
      Could I dig the potato plants themselves back into the soil in Oct november when harvesting the potatoes and let them break down over winter. Or do I need to dispose of the plants
      Do not do that you could spread disease.Burn them or take away from plot.

Comment

If I sow field beans in October November and then dig them back in March do I need to account for this for crop rotation or can I treat as no effect on rotation plan. Seem some reasonable priced field beans at Kingseed direct 5kg for £10

Comment

This site https://www.greenmanure.co.uk/produc...ant=1182262892 advises to follow with brassicas

Comment

If I sow field beans in October November and then dig them back in March do I need to account for this for crop rotation or can I treat as no effect on rotation plan. Seem some reasonable priced field beans at Kingseed direct 5kg for £10
            Legumes tend not to suffer much from soil pests, and so crop rotation can usually be safely ignored.

A leguminous green manure will increase soil nitrogen, though, which is wh it's recommended to follow with brassicas.

Comment

If I planted nitrogen fixing trees in the field surrounding the growing area as a permanent feature would the nitrogen increase in the area growing the vegetables. what's the range from the trees would they influence in the soil

Comment

If I planted nitrogen fixing trees in the field surrounding the growing area as a permanent feature would the nitrogen increase in the area growing the vegetables. what's the range from the trees would they influence in the soil
                Zero.
                All the nitrogen goes into the plant, not into the soil
                The reason nitrogen-fixing green manures increase soil nitrogen is because you dig the whole plant into the soil, and it then rots and releases the nitrogen into the soil.

Besides, even if it did work like that, you wouldn't want those trees surrounding your growing area. Leguminous trees are mostly real thugs, sending up suckers all over the place. Many have vicious thorns, too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X