• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	868A3484-EE1D-4CB3-B881-66124EB7A612.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	2385285

Was thinking I might harvest some of the pods and use the beans fresh in a stew or something. I take it I could do that with pods this size? Feels like the beans inside are a decent size.

Comment

Hi Annie, Yes you could use them at that stage, was just thinking the same this morning, veggie chilli was my plan. I've also got some starting to dry nicely on the plants too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5AECB8D4-9361-46FE-AFE8-D468A642D382.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	2385355
        Picked some of the borlotti beans today. A few have the marbled look but most are more of a green colour. Are they ok to cook with? The pods seemed ready but never actually had fresh borlotti beans before.

Comment

They're perfectly fine to cook with. The mottled ones will have just crossed with something else, maybe even runner beans.
          Be sure to boil (actually boil, not just simmer) all of them for several minutes, though. All fully-grown beans of this type are toxic, but boiling temperatures destroy the toxin.

Comment

They look fine to me as well, as they mature the mottling gets darker some times you even get black ones.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X