No announcement yet.

When are you planting out your spuds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket went in 4 weeks ago in the greenhouse. Rest will be in the ground in two weeks time

Comment

Most of mine were planted last weekend, the rest will be this weekend. Both earlies and main crop went in at the same time, the harvest is staggered not the planting time.

Comment

Good to know it's length of time to harvest not planting time that's important. I have about 5 earlies in tubs but itching to plant out the rest.

Fingers crossed for spring soon. Not frosty here just v wet and windy

Comment

I'll be planting mine in two to three weeks' time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            Goodness me sit on your hands for a while you folks thinking of planting now and consider when your last frosts are. We can have frosts up here in June!! I aim to plant on 20th April annually although last year it was in to May.
            All mine are protected by either a plastic cover or a greenhouse. For the last 3 years our last frost has been on 26th April.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

heavy rain again tomorrow so thats scuppered my plans for my spuds . atb Dal

Comment

Mine will be going out last week in March

Comment

Put a row of Kestrels in a couple of weeks back (gamble) and hopefully tomorrow will put the rest in plus Charlottes. They won't start growing until they're ready but with any luck they'll crop before blight strikes (which it usually does). Blight resistant mains will go in in April.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I did the early planting experiment some years ago, planting seed spuds at weekly intervals.

It made no difference to the eventual time they got going: they won't grow until it's warm enough.

Any leaves that appear in a frost will blacken and rot. Spuds sitting in cold wet soil are also liable to rot

Mine will go in late March IF good weather's due
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Last year, i kept an eye on what local farmers were doing.
                      On my commute to work, when I saw furrows appearing, thats when I planted mine.

I already know which fields to keep my eye on over the coming weeks.

According to my dad, my grandad always used to say 'Easter' but considering easter can be anthing like 2-3 weeks apart thats not a good indicator.

Comment

Next Wednesday, rather randomly. 50 Maris Piper, and half a dozen each of International Kidney, Cara and Pink Fir apple.

Got to dig up the rest of the parsnips and carrots currently occupying that particular plot.
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Manage to mow the lawns yesterday, just a high cut.
                          Now have a bag of clippings.
                          Today will plant my chitted Charlottes.
                          A trench with a scattering of muck and a layer of clippings.
                          Then spuds on top.
                          Cover and earth up later as required.
                          So my spuds depend on first lawn cut!
                          Jimmy
                          Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Not bothering this year, no particular reason but only grow a few anyway

Comment

I planted some Maris Pipers out in bags around the end of Feb and have been moving the bags outside on good days and back in at night. I have been earthing up fairly regularly and on the surface everything seems to be going well. I will be planting some more at the end of this month/beginning of April and am interested to compare them all.

Comment

Spuds just gone in. The bag of grass cuttings had heated up considerably over night.
                                So they got a nice toasty blanket to start on.
                                Jimmy
                                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X