No announcement yet.

toomanytommytoes, annie8, SP & 4shoes mystery chilli growing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of mine are ticking along ok. Gradually moving them from the modules to individual pots as they get bigger. The most different is the one with dark leaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
      2nd flush of seedlings are on their way. It is a strange old world. This time like last, it is the middle modules that have produced seedlings. Going to pot up tomorrow so will look into seed and size them.

I also have a seedling from 1st flush that looks a bit like willow herb... Question is chilli or weed

Anyone else got anything similar?

Picture to come.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2382661
      This is he seedling that looks a bit like willow herb.

What do we think Chilli of foe?

This is from a pot with seed type 25 - a regular sized yellow seed (if it is a chilli)
      Last edited by 4Shoes; 14-03-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

2nd flush of seedlings are on their way. It is a strange old world. This time like last, it is the middle modules that have produced seedlings. Going to pot up tomorrow so will look into seed and size them.
        Just about to start picking out so that they don't go too leggy.

This is what I mean with poor germination on some modules.

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	2382668

Just a recap... I sorted seeds into 34 seed types and put one into each block in sowing 1

With poor germination, I identified what seeds had germinated and then did a 2nd sowing - 2 seeds per cell in this tray. They have been in a Stewart's propagator set at 24C for last few weeks.

The R/H seedling are my sweet peppers. All sown exactly the same. All I can say is that the seed went in dark to light.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
          Now have 71 babies.
          Germination has really slowed over the last week. No sign of the rocoto yet. I've got 3 or 4 dark leaved seedlings which narrows the variety down to 6, I think. That's very exciting.
          Don't think I'm going to get full germination. I'm not overly disappointed because let's be honest 175 is mental!.
          Working through the posts - been distracted with other things this last month or so.
          was 40% the final germination rate? Looking like it will be 20 seeds from 60 in the 2nd sowing - 33%. But will give then to end march if I can.

Comment

• Willow herb or chilli ? My first thought is willow herb. But then there are some odd looking chillies potentially in the collection so I'd give it a bit longer to be sure one way or the other.

As for your poor germination. You're not alone. I was quite disappointed with germination as well. Also like you very few of the dark seeds came up.
            I've just checked my notes. I only had 4 small dark seed come up and one didn't make it. None of the big dark ones came up.

Comment

• 4Shoes if you repeatedly get better germination in the middle cells it suggests that your prop is warmer in the middle and the ones on the outside aren't getting warm enough.

Sweet peppers and other annuums usually germinate quicker & at lower temperatures than other types of pepper. Pubescens (with dark seeds) seem quite a bit more tricky to germinate than the pale seeds. So I'd suggest it's a combination of the temperature and the different requirements of the different types.

As for the willow herb, I'd definitely give that a bit longer if you have the room.
              Last edited by Mitzi; 14-03-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working through the posts - been distracted with other things this last month or so.
                was 40% the final germination rate? Looking like it will be 20 seeds from 60 in the 2nd sowing - 33%. But will give then to end march if I can.
                77 was final germination, 4 died =73.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                  4Shoes if you repeatedly get better germination in the middle cells it suggests that your prop is warmer in the middle and the ones on the outside aren't getting warm enough.

Sweet peppers and other annuums usually germinate quicker & at lower temperatures than other types of pepper. Pubescens (with dark seeds) seem quite a bit more tricky to germinate than the pale seeds. So I'd suggest it's a combination of the temperature and the different requirements of the different types.
                  My propagator is hotter in the centre. So when I sowed my seeds I made sure some of every variety were in the middle. It didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. The ones that did germination, came up all over the try. It's a tricky one.

Comment

• My germination rate was poor too. Perhaps a combination of old seed stock and finicky varieties?

Comment

• Here are my babies, back right is a hairy one...

Name:	Mystery Chillies.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	2382669

Comment

• Looking good. Mine are a bit smaller than that. Am off to check if i have any hairy ones!

Comment

• Cant see any, but lots are still really small. I got about 40% germination - about 40 from 100. Not bad considering i don't have a propagator.

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                            Here are my babies, back right is a hairy one...
                            Can't really tell from the pic but if it came from a pale seed rather than a dark one it could be Goats Weed. Or apparently some Jalapenos are quite hairy. You'll have to compare with SP's supposed white ghost as they develop.

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                              Cant see any, but lots are still really small. I got about 40% germination - about 40 from 100. Not bad considering i don't have a propagator.
                              That's pretty good considering the lack of a propagator.

Comment

• They're looking good toomanytommytoes. Don't think I've got any hairy mystery seedlings. I'll have a good look in daylight tomorrow.
                                Last edited by Small pumpkin; 14-03-2019, 10:25 PM. Reason: Typing while watching tv!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X