Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tomato varieties will you be sowing this year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babru View Post
    First year growing tomatoes in my new greenhouse. Sowing Sungold and have ordered grafted plants of Gardeners Delight, Shirley and Orange Paruche. I'm interested to see how grafted and non-grafted compare, is it worth it, especially with the shorter growing season in Scotland.
    I tried grafting tomatoes last year as I think I have several wilt diseases in my greenhouse soil (probably from strawberry plants) and don't like watering growbags or the thought of digging it all out and replacing it from somewhere else. I normally grew about 40 plants in a 20ft. greenhouse and ended up with enough toms for us. This year, out of 32 grafts, 22 survived. I planted out 20 allowing each plant to develop 2 vines so similar to 40 plants. I had a total of 120kg of toms off them with 9kg off 1 alicante and 7.8kg off a gardener delight. I was untroubled with botrytis either - but that might be because it was so dry.

If you are growing in soil for the first time or growbags, I would not bother with grafts. After a few years though, disease is likely to build up as it is difficult to rotate greenhouse crops adequately, then grafting is definitely worthwhile.

Comment

Im not sure you would need growlights for tomatoes? Lots of people manage without them. Perhaps just grow cherries or small salad toms.

I'm hoping to try grafted toms I may need handholding

Comment

I used these grafting clips which are 2mm diameter so quite small.
        https://www.wholesale.molesseeds.co....ilicone-zsn310
        and the submarine rootstock from the same supplier. Last year I sowed them about 20th March but will sow a bit earlier this year. Either end Feb or 1st week March depending on weather. The benefit of grafting small plants is that a lot can fit in a small heated propagator which I put in a darkish corner of the kitchen. Then looked at a few youtube videos.

Edit:The youtube clips I found useful were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwTCwlhFgo quite a few tips in
        and
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhgsPkeZEbk
        Last edited by Mark_Riga; 08-01-2019, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Thank you Mark...I need to get watching some video

Comment

Woo hoo, finally decided on my list. Not sure what will get grafted though.

Hahns Gelbe
            Tiny Tim
            Tom Minibel
            Tom Micro
            Sweet n Neat Yellow
            venus
            Bosque Bumblebee
            Dancing with Smurfs
            Black Vernissage
            Beam's Yellow Pear
            Brad's Atomic Grape
            Buffalo Horn
            Black Russian
            Orange Favourite
            Pantano
            Supermarmande
            Tres Cantos Tom
            Atkin's Stuffing
            White Queen
            Moonglow
            Garden Peach
            kumato

Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 12-01-2019, 12:57 PM. Reason: can't resist squeezing in more

Comment

I tried grafting a few years ago and failed miserably so I wish anybody luck. The problem I had was having rootstock and scion the same diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
                I tried grafting a few years ago and failed miserably so I wish anybody luck. The problem I had was having rootstock and scion the same diameter.
                Did you start them off the same time? What variety did you try?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X