X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I don't know much about lighting but as soon as they germinate they will need space and light to grow on.
    Often they can't go outside until May. How many plants do you intend to grow on?

I can fit 15 fully grown in my greenhouse at a push, so the propagator can fit quite a few in so I’ll start quite a few off as I tend to give some to family and friends

Comment

• You can't put them in your greenhouse until May at the earliest. They need to be grown on indoors.
      All mine are started in a propagator. As soon as the germinate they are out on a sunny windowsil making sure that during the night they aren't getting chilled. They are kept indoors until April time when I start moving the plants out to the greenhouse for the day and bringing them back indoors during the night.
      A small light like you describe isn't going to keep many plants...and the greenhouse will be too cold. They don't stay in a prop for long?

Comment

• That light won't cover a very large area, you'll probably be able to fit about six (or nine at a squeeze) 9cm pots under it. You probably want the bulb about 4 inches above the canopy of the plants. Seedlings and young chilli plants don't need tremendous amounts of light, mine do fine underneath 24W 2ft fluorescent T5 bulbs. If you want to cover a larger area I would buy 2ft or 4ft LED battens or find an old fluorescent fixture and put LED tubes (i.e. 'substitubes') in it.

Comment

• I'm struggling with the whole garage growing idea.
          Not only do plants need light they also need heat. A propagator is great for germination but they aren't suitable for growing on seedlings.
          For germination you need heat but don't require light.
          Seedlings need light and heat but the growing on temperature needs to be less than the germination temperature- two much heat and not enough light and your seedlings will get leggy.
          As the plants grow you will need a bigger area that is lit. I presume your garage has no windows? How is your garage going to be heated?

Comment

• Originally posted by hop-a-long View Post
            Hi all,

I've had a mixed year growing chillies this year, jalepenos and cayenne did well for me, but had a pretty small crop from the superhots. I grew 7 pot bubblegum, really lovely flavour and heat just the right side of bearable when sliced onto a pizza! Also tried growing a chocolate Carolina reaper.... Just pure pain!! Couldn't handle it fresh, but I've got a couple in the freezer that I might make into hot sauce if I get time.

I have probably left it too late at this stage, but was thinking I should probably try and save some of my chilli plants and overwinter them, I haven't pruned them back or anything, thay are still out in the greenhouse. The pots are too big to bring into my house so they'll have to take their chances out there, but I was just wondering - have any of you ever tried taking cuttings from your plants around now and rooting them on inside for next season, incase the overwintering plants dont survive?
            I had a very poor year, the late spring pretty much scuppered it.

I have tried taking chilli cuttings a few years ago but most didn’t take and the one that did, didn’t thrive. It’s certainly possible but not easy.

Comment

• Today’s the day! First seeds are soaking. Purple Peach, IC2, BBG7 and Fatalii. Some are old seeds so I’m not expecting them all to succeed.

Definitely not growing as many plants and varieties this coming year and very few new ones; going back to some old favourites.

Comment

• Mods Can you please close this thread?

Follow on chilli thread for 2020 can be found here :

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-a_100624.html
                Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X