This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dave_100 View Post
    Thanks Mitzi, what kind of habanero did you grow? I think the red savina types are hottest, I'm looking at the orange types which I'm hoping will do okay.

Fatalii are one step up in SHU heat, I was planning to do the standard yellow variant, but might give it a miss after your experience, thanks for sharing!
    You’re in a warmer part of the country than me and next summer might be hot, so you might be ok. I wouldn’t want to put you off trying the Fatalii as lots of people rate it as their favourite chilli. I tried to grow the yellow one but they didn’t germinate.

I’ve grown various hab types but not the Savina.

After several overly-hot casseroles and curries recently, I’m under orders from my other half to grow more medium heat chillies next year. Maybe I should try putting whole chillies in and removing them before serving- but I find it hard to believe that the flavour can really get through the skin. Does it work?
    Last edited by Mitzi; 29-11-2019, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• It does work. I do this with choc habs. Although I did do a chilli in my pressure cooker with 4 of them and they duly disintegrated and were nowhere to be found.. That was crazy hot. You can pierce them to get more heat and flavour too if you want. Or at the end mash one or two in if it's not quite hot\flavourble enough.
      Last edited by SimpleSimon; 29-11-2019, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• I agree with simpleSimon. Putting a whole pod in while cook then removing at the end really does work.

Comment

• Anyone starting to plan for next years chilli growing? Doing anything different?

I’ve done a fantasy seed order. 47 varieties & Ł89 later ( just as well it was fantasy ). I might need to shorten that list some what!

Next year only 3 plants will be going into big pots ( 100lt+ ). Everything else will be in nothing bigger than a MFB.

I’ll be putting a lot more information on my plant labels next year as well.
          Variety
          Family
          Scoville scale
          Flavour
          Recommended use ( raw, stuffing, pickling, drying )

anything else I might need on the label?

Comment

• Hi SP, I’m definitely wanting to get things kicked off. I noticed a few people seem to get things kicked off in Dec, so I’m following suit.

My plan is to get my scotch bonnets / Choc Hans started in a couple of weeks in my small utility room in the window.

Does anyone have any idea of a minimum temperature the room will need to successfully germinate / for the seedlings to grow?

We’ve got a few cold days coming up, so hoping to monitor room temp over that period.

Comment

• Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
              Hi SP, I’m definitely wanting to get things kicked off. I noticed a few people seem to get things kicked off in Dec, so I’m following suit.

My plan is to get my scotch bonnets / Choc Hans started in a couple of weeks in my small utility room in the window.

Does anyone have any idea of a minimum temperature the room will need to successfully germinate / for the seedlings to grow?

We’ve got a few cold days coming up, so hoping to monitor room temp over that period.
              I’ll be starting my super hot chillies between Christmas and new year.

Minimum temp for chillies is 10 degrees but at that low temperature they will live but very unhappily. Around 18 would be better. Especially for seedlings. Also they hate big fluctuation in temperature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                Anyone starting to plan for next years chilli growing? Doing anything different?
                Yes - I won't be growing any - never mind how much you try to lead me astray.
                I enjoyed the challenge though!!

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Yes - I won't be growing any - never mind how much you try to lead me astray.
                  I enjoyed the challenge though!!
                  As if I’d lead you astray . It was nice to have company growing the low heat chillies .
                  I’ll definitely be trying other low heat varieties in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    I’ll be starting my super hot chillies between Christmas and new year.

Minimum temp for chillies is 10 degrees but at that low temperature they will live but very unhappily. Around 18 would be better. Especially for seedlings. Also they hate big fluctuation in temperature.
                    Between Christmas and new year could be a good idea, I have my family visiting then, so could gift them all some just planted seeds in small pots.

I’m going to monitor the temp 2-3 times a day and see what it’s looking like currently

Comment

• Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
                      Between Christmas and new year could be a good idea, I have my family visiting then, so could gift them all some just planted seeds in small pots.

I’m going to monitor the temp 2-3 times a day and see what it’s looking like currently

I bought a cheap Stewarts heated propagator last year (this one) and it really helped with germination. The hotter varieties like the chocolate habanero need constant between 18 and 35c to sprout.

I'm working on fine tuning my 2020 grow list, currently looking as below, can't wait to get started (Feb 1 for me)
                      • Apache F1
                      • Lemon drop
                      • Sugar rush peach
                      • Fatalii
                      • Orange habanero
                      • Thai dragon chilli (overwintering from 2019)
                      Last edited by dave_100; 29-11-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Tentative grow list for next year...

Basque
                        Palivec
                        Shishito
                        Hungarian Hot Wax
                        Lancer
                        Gourmet Jalapeno
                        Havana Gold
                        Midas
                        Hot Thai
                        Aji Delight
                        Burkina Yellow (overwintered)

Comment

• Originally posted by dave_100 View Post
                          I bought a cheap Stewarts heated propagator last year (this one) and it really helped with germination. The hotter varieties like the chocolate habanero need constant between 18 and 35c to sprout.
                          Thanks for this, I will look into the propagator. I did ask my sister for one for my birthday when she asked what I wanted, though I’m yet to see it, so I may need to buy my own.

Hard frost last night, just taken a reading in the garden room, 14.7c so need to get that up a bitn

Comment

• Random question
                            Anyone know what family Ohnivec is? I’m guessing it’s an annuum. But that really is a guess. I’ve do a good bit of googling but can’t find it.

Comment

• I have it down as an Annum...but I've just gaggled too and the few sites I looked at didn't have it noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                I have it down as an Annum...but I've just gaggled too and the few sites I looked at didn't have it noted.
                                Good pleased it wasn’t just me that couldn’t find it .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X