This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    These are the trays I use - just a bit wider than plant labels. I find if you don't disturb the roots they have a good head start.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]84697[/ATTACH]
    Those are not what I was thinking of. Single hole on bottom to pop the plant out?

They look ideal.

Comment

I got them from a plant nursery....they really are worth scouting out for.

Yes...single hole in the bottom, I pop the plugs out with a pencil.
      Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
        When growing chilli's early in the season and in low light, they become "leggy". Does anybody transplant them deeper so that the "leggy" stem is buried?
        I've done this before with tomatoes and they grow roots from the buried stems and grow fine.
        Does anybody know if the same principal applies to crops such as chilli's?
        Tomatoes grow leggy because they are fast growing. Chillies don't seem to do that if they are put somewhere light and in an average room temp. If they are left in the propagator too long they will go leggy - as soon as they have sprouted its best to take them out.
        Chillies don't form roots up the stem like tomatoes do its not really something I would do.
        Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Tomatoes grow leggy because they are fast growing. Chillies don't seem to do that if they are put somewhere light and in an average room temp. If they are left in the propagator too long they will go leggy - as soon as they have sprouted its best to take them out.
          Chillies don't form roots up the stem like tomatoes do its not really something I would do.
          I've left them in the propagator a day or two too long, my mistake is to use a single seed tray and not modules that i can break apart. I hadn't anticipated different germination periods between varieties, some germinated and some not yet and the propagator has no light. So the early sprouters are a little "leggy", they're now in the window, cooler and hopefully slower growth
          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to put a spanner in the works now
            I do plant chillies deeper ( if they need it ). Not until they are plug plant size ( if that make scene ). So it usually gets done when I'm potting on from 3" to 1lt pots. I wouldn't necessarily do it with leggy seedlings.
            I started doing this last year. After getting some plug plants from a very reputable supplier that said to do this in the growing on information that came with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
              I'm going to put a spanner in the works now
              I do plant chillies deeper ( if they need it ). Not until they are plug plant size ( if that make scene ). So it usually gets done when I'm potting on from 3" to 1lt pots. I wouldn't necessarily do it with leggy seedlings.
              I started doing this last year. After getting some plug plants from a very reputable supplier that said to do this in the growing on information that came with them.
              Did they grow fine?
              sigpic

Comment

Deeper than their first true leaves SP?

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                  Did they grow fine?
                  They grew very well

Deeper than their first true leaves SP?
                  No, just up to first true leaves.

Comment

I pot up most things to their first leaves but no more....Ive been know to bury tomatoes a foot deep laying it horizontally along the ground!

Some pics of one of my Royal blacks potting on sown end of Jan - such a slow grower. Grown on a windowsill indoors until May ususally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	2381895
                    April - 5cm pot

Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	2381896
                    June - not quite sure how big these are but I like to use square pots to fit in my GH trays. About 12cm,

Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	2381897
                    July - flower bucket.
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                      They grew very well

No, just up to first true leaves.
                      That is what I do. Any deeper and there is a risk of rot setting in at the leaf joints and a toppling of the trunk

Potting on as per Scarlet
                      Last edited by 4Shoes; 29-12-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I'm going to do a trial if my seedlings go really "leggy"

1. leave a quantity to grow leggy
                        2. plant a quantity deeper, up to the first true leaf
                        3. plant a quantity deeper, past the first true leaf
                        4. plant horizontal like scarlet did with the tomatoes

I've planted loads of jalepenos, I'll test it out with them
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes, they are fine.
                          Thanks, I was just a bit concerned as I have a much smaller, 3 litre pot which has all of these drainage holes (see pic)!
                          Attached Files

Comment

How are you planning to water ? Many of us water from below so the more holes, the faster the water will wick up the soil to the roots. Equally, if you plan to water from top, and they are inside, you don't have to have holes. Just take care with amount of water. Peppers don't like waterlogged soil.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                              How are you planning to water ? Many of us water from below so the more holes, the faster the water will wick up the soil to the roots. Equally, if you plan to water from top, and they are inside, you don't have to have holes. Just take care with amount of water. Peppers don't like waterlogged soil.
                              They would be inside, and I would do whatever is best, I'm really open to guidance here. I know they don't like soil too wet, and I've heard conflicting things about watering from the surface/bottom

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                                A work colleague grew them hydroponically last year, it was the best crop I've ever seen
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X