No announcement yet.

Soil problems - seek guidance

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I ask what plants do well in your garden and in neighbours ?. Here it's hydrangea, rhododendron, azalea which ties ties in with my acid soil test result

As you say no bulb could be phosphorus deficncy so maybe adding bonemeal or a npk fertilizer will help
    Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 23-10-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      Not really. Litmus has 3 colours, red, blue and purple. Red indicates acid conditions, below pH 4.5, blue indicates alkaline conditions, above pH 8.3. The range between 4.5 and 8.3 shows as purple ("neutral"). Most if not all soils would fall in the purple range, and plants are much more sensitive than this to acid/alkaline conditions.
      You can get better litmus paper (full range of ph), but at the end of the day, not going to help much for soil testing. (I use the paper to ensure the sanitizer is still viable for cleaning beer equipment)

Comment

Until Effy tells us how she tested the soil, its difficult to help.

There's another thread about the turnips not "bulbing" which may be relevant. https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ing_96897.html

Comment

When I have had problems with acid loving plants, rhododendron and azaleas for example I have added a little vinegar to a full watering can and watered the soil round the roots, this gives a quick ph change to the soil, or you could collect the tea that has been left in your teapot and water your soil with that, doing this regularly gives a gradual ph change
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X