No announcement yet.

Growing parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow parsnips in buckets of sifted soil, which are set out in a woodchip filled trampoline frame on the North side of an old oak tree.

Comment

my method.

plant seeds in loo roll cores in greenhouse 14 Mar for me this year
      plant out under nets 2 June
      wonder what exactly is in the green cube of netting early july. Trim back foliage and repeat...

eat over winter.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        I grow parsnips in buckets of sifted soil, which are set out in a woodchip filled trampoline frame on the North side of an old oak tree.
        So I need a bucket, some sifted soil,some woodchip,a trampoline and an Oak tree to grow parsnips?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yes - nothing else will do.

Wish I could remember when to sow the seeds

Comment

Yes - nothing else will do.

Wish I could remember when to sow the seeds
            It's every other Monday isn't VC

Comment

Sorry, SP, you haven't been concentrating - its every 4th Monday in Roots week.

Comment

Sorry, this is wrong. I've just been to admire my parsnips (they always look better after dark) and I have to correct my advice. It should be:-

I grow parsnips in buckets of sifted soil, which are set in a woodchip filled, chicken wire enclosure, attached to one side of a trampoline frame on the North side of an old oak tree.

That's better, I don't want to mislead you.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  So I need a bucket, some sifted soil,some woodchip,a trampoline and an Oak tree to grow parsnips?
                  I think that's an "old" oak tree. Presumably a young or middle aged one wouldn't do

Comment

You're right, Chippy, the girth of the oak must be greater than the circumference of one's arms; that is, you must not be able to touch your outstretched fingers when you hug the tree.
                    Maybe you haven't come across the annual "Cwtch y Deri" or "Hug an Oak" celebration which takes place in January in this part of Wales. Accompanied by much merriment and acorn coffee spitting, the locals gather near the oaks to hug them. The oldest trees needs 2 people to make a complete circle and, there is a correlation between the girth of the oak and that of the parsnips which are grown beneath it.

Comment

I have the impression that some of you think I'm making this up - so, here are my parsnips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0153.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	2380789

Name:	DSCF0152.jpg
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	2380788

Comment

A happy update:

Sowed 19th April, as detailed above.

Name:	IMG_20181013_163019-1836x2448.jpg
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	2381103

Comment

Any initials on the oak tree VC? Must get it exact you knows. Having looked at your oak tree I think I have to disqualify myself as the nearest oak tree to me is much thicker in the girth. Knowing my luck it would drop its branches on my buckets.

Just realised that the soil here isn't sieveible, so doubly disqualified!

Ah well off to find last years parsnips seeds and see how they do next February.

Bill

Comment

No initials, Bill, but there are feathers! When I find a feather in the garden, I stick it in the bark. Should I add that to my advice on parsnip growing, do you think?

Comment

Now then, I have to confess a claim to fame... I won the GYO magazine top tip with my parsnip advice a few years ago

I've never had a problem with germination with this method:

Sow in early spring. Dib holes 4-6" apart to the depth you want to sow the seed (couple of inches in my case). Now boil a kettle of water. With the freshly boiled water, fill each hole and let it drain before putting one or two seeds in each hole. Top with soil and leave well alone.

If I sow two seeds per station, I usually need to thin to one

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Had great success this year pre-germinating parsnip seed in a takeaway container lined with damp kitchen roll. Sowed the seeds in SFG spacing as soon as they put out a little white tail. A bit more effort than sowing direct, but you avoid any dead seed and there's no need to thin out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X