No announcement yet.

Keeping the enthusiasm going

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardening to me is enjoyable,when I was able I enjoyed digging, I didn't grow much due to lack of time but found digging helped ease pressures a bit, doing physical work and not needing to worry if I was doing it right or not gave me a break from other pressures, I grow more flowers than veg because I like flowers, and it gave quicker results, I did grow potatoes and onions from sets, and easy to grow things like radish, beetroot, peas and beans, things that gave results with minimum of time and effort, I have always disliked needing to weed,so try to cover the soil with plants I want, and no doubt plant things too close for that purpose, and now that the growing season is come to a close here I am now looking through the seed catalogues to see what I will grow next year, and of course planning to grow more than I have room for. I am out in the greenhouse quite a lot but that is more because I don't enjoy the tv that much than doing gardening work, and it is not the tidiest of places, just like the veg part of the garden is always in need of a tidy , but then it gives me a reason to go out if OH starts on about doing something in the house,(hold on I am just going out to tidy) so gardening still gives me an escape from pressures
    Don't worry about not having time or enthusiasm, just dream of what you will try growing next year, and remember even the experienced gardeners don't get it right all the time in my case my aims are higher than my abilities but I still enjoy it
    Last edited by rary; 15-09-2018, 07:19 PM.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

It’s hard sometimes when life has so many demands on your time.
      You should consider growing some perennials which would be less demanding or at least veg and fruit that need less attention.
      SFG is really exacting in its timing demands.
      Maybe that’s something you could do on the future but meanwhile perhaps you could grow perennials or less demanding veg.

Comment

What about a fruit bush (currant/gooseberry/raspberry)and in the summer salad leaves. Or kale/potatoes in pots/garlic or onions from sets, broad beans planted in autumn or summer French beans. Or herbs like rosemary chives mint or sage, or parsley which wouldn’t take much time but are brilliant for the kitchen.
        As you free up time you can add in the more demanding crops. Meanwhile you would still have the satisfaction of home grown harvests.

Comment

During the last few months I have had a little more time to get to the allotment as Mrs C has been on a course of steroids, which are now come to an end, however it appears the other medication that is supposed to take over isn't doing as good a job and within a few days of finishing the course she has gone back to restricted movement and a whole lot of pain, when she needs help standing and getting in and out of bed etc my time on the allotment gets greatly reduced. It's life and you have to just adapt to what it throws at you.
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Round about this time of year I prefer to hibernate
            to the pub!
            Jimmy
            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

This is my favourite and busiest time on the plot. Funnily, its rather peaceful there with all the fair weather gardeners finished for the winter!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have to admit that my enthusiasm has waned a little, but I blame the decreasing daylight as I can't get to the plot after work anymore as it gets dark so quickly now. Colder too.

Plenty of digging to do but that needs to wait for the weekend... huge amounts of rain expected this weekend so I should be able to dig pretty soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X