Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I grow in a GH in summer...............

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about going into growing HUGE things, like 3 foot long carrots or 6 pound onions, when I lived Leicestershire there were guys growing stuff in containers to enter the village show competitions in greenhouses, not my bag, but fun if there's a friendly competition to enter.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Thanks all for your ideas!
      I've done the grape thing - outside and led inside and it didn't work for me as I'm too short to keep up with the pruning and thinning. It was a hassle so I didn't do it - then the GH was too shady and all I got were currant sized grapes. I still have the hole in the glass where the vine came in! (sounds like a song!
      The winning suggestions so far are melons, cucumber/squash/courgettes of some sort, beans, maybe dwarf as I lose those in the garden.
      Please keep your ideas coming as I give each one some thought, really I do.
      I suppose chickens are a bit vertically challenged by their nature :-) To be honest I only thin and prune if I think about it, consequently my grape growing is v hit and miss - on the other hand the vines tolerate complete neglect very well, which is really a requirement given my gardening style.

If you do decide to have another crack at grape growing or for others reading this thread there's no absolute requirement for the main rods of the vine to be over head height - they can be taken round the GH at shoulder level if desirable, to make the work easier .

Good luck with your pot grown stuff - I always and up with more containers than I can really be bothered with, which leads to predictable problems later. :-)

Comment

Hi vC you should be able to grow both sweet potato and yard long beans and soy beans in a pot. All will probably need something to climb up and you will have to tie the sweet potatoes in otherwise they will cascade over your green house floor.

My edulis germinated really easy, I think I soaked some of the seed overnight too just in case. They've been small the first year but I brought one to keep over winter indoors and it's now over 2ft high. Passion fruit don't mind being chopped back and you will need to as the one I planted at my folks place in London in 20 years (not an edulis) has grown up two stories and is happily trailing round our neighbours verandah.

I'll keep potting my edulis on until it becomes to big to move in for the winter then it will have to survive outside.
        Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
        Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
        Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
        Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Thanks ecudc.
          I think my edulis seeds may be past their best. No sign of germination yet.
          I have some yard long beans though.

Comment

2 years ago I grew chickpeas. We have a big bag of dried chickpeas in the kitchen I'd acquired a few years before from an Asian supermarket. I shoved a few in pots for fun and about 70% sprouted. They grew a bit and I got some fresh chickpeas off them (nice in salads and rice's), but I don't think they completely appreciated our northern summer. Worth a shot?

Comment

Chillies?
              Summer squashes?
              Dwarf french beans?
              Dwarf peach?
              Oranges and lemons? Again, dwarf/patio varieties
              Loofahs for the bath?
              Do you enjoy eating Asian/caribbean dishes? If so, what about stuff like callaloo or curry leaves?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X