Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your life depended on it, which Tomato variety would you grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually grow bush tomatoes but looking at the sweet millions for next year. Has anyone used a tomato cage, would it work for these and can they be grown outside?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
      I'd grow sungold.
      Thankyou,

I think Sungold has been recommended more than any other(including your recommendation)

I will definitely be growing sungold!

I think I will grow 1 or 2 more reliable varieties and a couple of interesting but risky varieties.

Regards, Dave

Comment

I'm another tomato fan. I grow a few varieties. All different shapes, sizes & colours. But if I had to pick one. It would have to be black Russia. Love it, love it, love it

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
          I'm another tomato fan. I grow a few varieties. All different shapes, sizes & colours. But if I had to pick one. It would have to be black Russia. Love it, love it, love it
          Thankyou,

I shall look it up,

Do you grow in a greenhouse, polytunnel or outdoors? and do you have a crop rotation system?

I shall be growing in a polytunnel, probably in raised beds(cordons) and pots for bush varieties.

I now realise I will probably need a rotation system or change the soil regularly,

Regards, Dave

Comment

I grow toms in a GH, in open bottomed pots (of new compost) sitting on a bed (old compost). At the end of the season, I empty the pots onto the bed.
            That's my simple "rotation" system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
              I usually grow bush tomatoes but looking at the sweet millions for next year. Has anyone used a tomato cage, would it work for these and can they be grown outside?
              Not used a tomato cage before, but I have grown sweet million outside. They were the last to get blight on my plot last year.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                I grow toms in a GH, in open bottomed pots (of new compost) sitting on a bed (old compost). At the end of the season, I empty the pots onto the bed.
                That's my simple "rotation" system.
                What an excellent idea!, roughly what volume of compost is enough for a cordon and bush variety?

I want them to be content but I don't want to waste compost if I can help it,

Regards, Dave

Comment

All my toms are grown in a raised bed in the polytunnle due to local. I don't really Have a rotation as it's just the one bed but does have time to rest as its empty all winter with a good thick layer of manure on it and covered with weed suppressing fabric. Manure is dug in just before I plant up again in spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    All my toms are grown in a raised bed in the polytunnle due to local. I don't really Have a rotation as it's just the one bed but does have time to rest as its empty all winter with a good thick layer of manure on it and covered with weed suppressing fabric. Manure is dug in just before I plant up again in spring.
                    I haven't had a lot of luck growing tomatoes outdoors either(I live near Northampton), they grew well enough and produced fruit but very little of it ripened. I've been without my polytunnel for the past 2 years and I intend getting a new cover for it early next year(I'm very much looking forward to it)

Are your choices limited being so far north? vis-à-vis what varieties you can grow,

Regards, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AshitabaDave View Post
                      What an excellent idea!, roughly what volume of compost is enough for a cordon and bush variety?

I want them to be content but I don't want to waste compost if I can help it,

Regards, Dave
                      I plant all the toms in the same size pot - a supermarket type - flower bucket with the bottom cut off, filled about 2/3rd with compost.
                      Sorry, I have no idea about volumes. I usually buy big bags of multipurpose compost (MPC) and fill them from that.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I plant all the toms in the same size pot - a supermarket type - flower bucket with the bottom cut off, filled about 2/3rd with compost.
                        Sorry, I have no idea about volumes. I usually buy big bags of multipurpose compost (MPC) and fill them from that.
                        Thankyou, you've been a great help, I will be using your ideas,

Regards, Dave

P.S. I'd like to upload some photos next year of my refurbished tunnel, Chock-A-Block with produce(mainly tomatoes)

Comment

We'll keep you to that Dave, we lurve piccies

Comment

Think it would have to be Rosada f1 and then probably sungold f1

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              I don't grow toms anymore because we always get blight here- and I don't have a greenhouse any more.

I used to grow them in a greenhouse in the ground- but replaced the soil in the borders every year with grow bags.

Don't think we ever had blight in there.
                              I grow some outside because of not much greenhouse space, I found Tumbling Tom Yellow and Red (hybrids) and Maskotka (open pollinated) have tough skins and the fruit resisted blight even if the foliage got it. I cut the affected leaves off and the fruit went on ripening, in pots in a sheltered spot by the house wall. You can save your own seed from Maskotka.

I don't have a polytunnel but the ones I'd not be without, in the greenhouse and outside, are Red Alert, tasty and so early you get plenty of fruit before the blight strikes, likewise Tumbler, Purple Ukkraine a big early plum vine, and Silvery Fir Tree, extremely early large fruited bush type, both with excellent flavour. But if I could only have one, it's got to be Sungold for me too.

Comment

Last year was the first time ever that I'd grow tomatoes (or any veg!) and I had six Gardeners Delight which turned out fabulous Quite tempted to also try Sungold too this year
                                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X