Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your life depended on it, which Tomato variety would you grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, high yield, reliability and getting the most out of the space I've got is what I want, I'm putting both your suggestions on my shortlist, I will be growing more than 1 variety,

Regards, Dave

Comment

Thanks Scarlet,

I will be growing more than one variety, I just phrased my initial question that way to narrow down the varieties suggested.

The link you put in your first reply has been a great help, the ratings system is excellent!

Regards, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by AshitabaDave View Post
        Thanks Nicos, I think I'll use raised beds and change the soil every year as you've suggested,

Regards, Dave

Have you room to rotate?
        it'd be cheaper!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          If it was only one tomato mine would be black cherry
          Scarlet, I was really excited to grow these this year, after all the recommendations I'd read... but mine were more like 'dirty brown cherry' with unappealing matt skin, a mealy texture, and watery taste. On top of that, only about 10 of the hundreds of fruit ever ripened. I know it's been a bad year for toms (especially in Scotland), but my Tumbler and Sungold came good in the end. Maybe I'm just too far North to expect anything bigger than a regular cherry to ripen? I'm sure all the fuss can't be about nothing, I was really looking forward to the taste sensation!

I wonder where the OP is located? Might have a bearing on the varieties they choose?
          He-Pep!

Comment

Good thought bario
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello Nicos,

Great idea! It would save money and work

I might have room to rotate, would it need to 4 areas or could I get away with only 3?

Regards, Dave(I'm near Northampton)

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                Scarlet, I was really excited to grow these this year, after all the recommendations I'd read... but mine were more like 'dirty brown cherry' with unappealing matt skin, a mealy texture, and watery taste. On top of that, only about 10 of the hundreds of fruit ever ripened. I know it's been a bad year for toms (especially in Scotland), but my Tumbler and Sungold came good in the end. Maybe I'm just too far North to expect anything bigger than a regular cherry to ripen? I'm sure all the fuss can't be about nothing, I was really looking forward to the taste sensation!

I wonder where the OP is located? Might have a bearing on the varieties they choose?
                Hello bario1, I'm near Northampton

Comment

I've been incredibly impressed by sweet million this year. They started ripening quite early and I've still got two plants chugging away in the large polytunnel, though I think I'm going to be taking a couple of armpits from them and pulling them up this weekend.
                  What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                  Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                    They aren't really black like the dancing with smurfs blue "anthocyanin" colours. Black cherry has a deep purple- ish/mahogany/brown colour, so not as pretty as some other black/blue toms that you can get but I think if yours were mealy you left them too long before tasting! Try them again, it may well be location, I'm in sunny Wilts and my tomatoes were poor this year to others, we had a very slow start. so much so that I cut my losses early on and sacrificed some of the larger fruiting toms for cherry varieties.

Comment

I f you want a large, tasty, high productive fruit, my choice would be Black Icicle............
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 10-11-2015, 04:55 PM.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        I f you want a large, tasty, high productive fruit, my choice would be Black Icicle............
                        Thanks for your input, I shall look it up,

Regards, Dave
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 10-11-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Another one of my favourites,

I didn't take a photo of mine this year, can I steal this BM and put in the tomato likes thread?

Comment

You know you don't need to ask Scarlet.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'd grow sungold.
                              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Nieghbour of mine grows( shirley ? ) , it looks an awesome producer in his greenhouse but ive never tried it, any good ?
                                why is it only when you post you realize you coulda looked at the reccomendations thread

And Mal, their not gorilla plums are they ?
                                Last edited by jackarmy; 10-11-2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X