No announcement yet.

Pilot light problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the blasting with the compressor off the jump start and lungs to no avail. I will try the dismantling tomorrow as today has gone a bit pear shaped.

Meanwhile, the cunning plan. Take three bricks, one oil lamp and a large clay pot. Stand the bricks on their sides surrounding the oil lamp, light the oil lamp and carefully place the pot on the top. Screen off an area of the tunnel with bubble wrap and fleece.

Tried it last night but the lamp needed some serious attention as it hadn't been used for a long time and went out. However have now got it to stay alight so I will just have to wait and see how much the temperature difference is between inside and outside. We are forecast 0C in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Sorry they are on their side. Is there a kind Mod out there who could flip them for me. I'm better with a spanner than a computer!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by roitelet; 05-04-2015, 03:05 PM.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Just popped in to check.

Its the big one tomorrow then, seriously your only problem may be the lack of physical strength, the rest is easy peasy after all ...................I can do it.

If you still have the destructions they would come in handy.

Again I will be on tomorrow if you need advice.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just reporting back.

Armed with Pottys instructions and a selection of spanners and stuff I started to dismantle the heater. Sadly I have to admit defeat. The first problem and the main one was accessibility. The front of the heater does not come off, only the back. This is not a lot of good as the pilot light is at the front and there are various metal plates in the way. Tried all ways to get the spanners on to the fitting but without dismantling the entire heater into a million bits I can't. So tomorrow I will have to ring the Company I bought it from and see what they suggest.

By the way, cunning plan doesn't work. Oil lamps need their wicks turning up so the lamp went out again and there was plenty of fuel left. Tomato plants are just going to have to do the Hokey Cokey (in out) until I get the heater sorted.

Thanks so much Potty for all your help only wish it had worked.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

So do I. It seems a very strange design as this is the part of the appliance that would need most attention.

Please let me know what they say and if you get a resolution.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Another thought about the cunning plan, would lifting the pot higher help, it may be that the lamp is suffering from oxygen starvation and this would put it out.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just an extra thought. All gas appliances can and will kill you. Please reconsider a DIY repair.

Comment

I don't think the lamp is suffering from oxygen starvation. It is standing on bricks on slatted staging. I think that as the wick burns it needs turning up in order that the flame keeps going.

I also think that the design of the heater is strange.

I will let you know what they say when I get an answer.

Comment

#36 Good advice Stingbean, unless you have an expert guiding you. Which this lady certainly does.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm a fan of the hoover as well as compressed air. Surprised its not been mentioned.

Wick shouldn't be burning the oil on the wick should...

My paraffin colframe heater will burn its entire fuel supply on the lowest wick setting...

Comment

I rang the supplier yesterday and he said that I should take the heater to the garage for a blast of compressed air. The only problem is that tracking down the mechanic is a bit difficult. Living in a half hic village the mechanic is only there some times. Tried today and he was away will try again tomorrow.

Comment

Finally got the heater and Mechanic all in the same place at the same time and he gave the main burner and pilot a good blast, got a load of muck out.Then Rabbit got sick so have been a bit occupied. Anyway pleased to report that it is all connected checked for leaks and It works!!!!

Thank so much Potty for all the advice. Obviously my lungs are just not up to it. Reminder to self, give up smoking.
                        Last edited by roitelet; 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

So glad for you. Time to have a can of compressed air on stand by, it will happen again.

If you smoke may I offer one further piece of advice I have nearly quit, down to two a day with the help of a good e-cigarette. Much cheaper, much healthier and my lungs are a lot stronger.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X