I've bought a polytunnel!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've bought a polytunnel!

OK, I have pressed the buy it now button and bought a 4m polytunnel. 25mm galvanised frame.

A lot of people on my plot seem to build a wooden frame as well to attach them to. I don't think my building skills are up to that but I will sink the plastic edging into the ground.

Hope to put it up next weekend.
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

You could just buy 4 of those pointy ended fence posts and bash them in at each corner on the inside and then lash the frame to them?

Comment

Go for it!

I was given a frame about four years ago - I'm itching to put it up.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
        You could just buy 4 of those pointy ended fence posts and bash them in at each corner on the inside and then lash the frame to them?
        That sounds fairly straightforward. I could probably manage that. Thanks for the idea.
        Likac66

Comment

When I bought mine, it was a different set of poles and metal bits if you were burying the plastic to if you were putting in a wooden rail at the bottom. Sarz idea sounds a good one though whatever the design. I chose buried because of the wind speeds I get. Enjoy or even enjoywch (one of the best Wanglish words!).
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I had to do this to mine. A tad overkill maybe but mine was only 19mm tubing.

Attached Files
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              I had to do this to mine. A tad overkill maybe but mine was only 19mm tubing.
              Blimy. How long has it been up? What happens to the poles when it's windy? You reminded me that I went for the size I did because it had heavier tubing (It was the smallest with that weight.)

Just realised your poles are plastic. Oh says it looks the business for what it's worth.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I think when the OP says '4m polytunnel', it means something like this marchogaeth: Polytunnel Greenhouse Pollytunnel Poly Tunnel PRO COVER | eBay

which doesn't come with foundation tubes/anchor plates etc.

Comment

I'm halfway through putting mine up. We had evening plans, so we're putting the cover on today. But I'm doing 4 posts (well actually 4 slats of a bed) to help secure it like Sarah suggests. Mine is galvalnised too, it slots together really easily. Just make sure you're going in straight. I'm buying some tape today to go over all the joins and make them even tougher. Looks a lot more robust than the mini plastic greenhouse I had. We spent a lot of time preparing the soil underneath it, to try and get any roots out- and adding well rotted woodchip. Only took about 15 mins to put the frame together.
                  http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                    Blimy. How long has it been up? What happens to the poles when it's windy? You reminded me that I went for the size I did because it had heavier tubing (It was the smallest with that weight.)

Just realised your poles are plastic. Oh says it looks the business for what it's worth.
                    The poles are 19mm metal tubes, not plastic. It's well secure so won't be going anyway, just need to put some 5ft lengths of timber between the arches to add even more stability.

I think when the OP says '4m polytunnel', it means something like this marchogaeth: Polytunnel Greenhouse Pollytunnel Poly Tunnel PRO COVER | eBay

I read it as a 4m poly with 25mm frame.
                    Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I think when the OP says '4m polytunnel', it means something like this marchogaeth: Polytunnel Greenhouse Pollytunnel Poly Tunnel PRO COVER | eBay which doesn't come with foundation tubes/anchor plates etc.
                      Ok. So your idea to get some weight in the bottom is very practical.

The poles are 19mm metal tubes, not plastic. It's well secure so won't be going anyway, just need to put some 5ft lengths of timber between the arches to add even more stability.
                      I just wondered if the poles flexed against the wood struts. I certainly didn't think it looked unsecure (or even insecure.)

Comment

I'm having trouble getting the door to zip up on ours- the roof seems a bit slack- but as much as we pull and adjust it doesn't go. Anyone got any clues on that?
                        http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Yes, it is very similar to that one.
                          Likac66

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                            I just wondered if the poles flexed against the wood struts.
                            The wood is not wedged on the poles but on the cross joints which are stronger, the planks have notches cut in each end to wedge between the the joints & the scaffold boards.

Comment

The wood is not wedged on the poles but on the cross joints which are stronger, the planks have notches cut in each end to wedge between the the joints & the scaffold boards.
                              I'm not looking to criticise BM. I'm curious. My site is really windy but I'd love a grow wall at some point. However, so far I've thought no chance because of the wind and at £300 a throw it's too much to risk. That is plastic poles though hence my initial interest. I don't think it's overkill - better safe than sorry in my book and if you don't do it when it's new you never get round to it.

Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X