Glass house V Polycarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass house V Polycarb

Ok so there are a lot of posts on greenhouse with many anecdotal stories but what are the pro's and cons of glass v polycarb?

I want a large greenhouse, about 10' x 6' and like the look of one Wilko's has on offer:
    Polycarbonate Greenhouse 6 x 10ft Aluminium | Polycarbonate Greenhouses | | Greenhouses from Wilkinson Plus

I would go for glass but don't want breakages as I have cats and an abundance of wildlife coming in the garden. I also object the the high costs of glass houses.

Your opinions are welcomed.

Hi John,

There are fore and against for both but if I am right that is glazed with single sheet polycarbonate, if so I would'nt touch it with a barge pole. The glazing panels are to flimsy and you would have trouble keeping them where they should be in anything but a light breeze.

I have a poly carbonate 8x6 but the glazing sheets are 4mm thick with a air space down the center, this gives added strength and also provides better insulation in the winter. Had mine 4/5 years and am most pleased with it.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

That looks a nice greenhouse John. Polycarbonate being a lot lighter than glass, it will need anchoring to the ground though.

Comment

Living in a windy area I wouldn't look at polycarbonate. One of my neighbours on the allotments has drilled every single sheet of his poly' house and fastened them to the frame with thick cable ties at each corner, another idiot neighbour hasn't and on a windy day, not wanting to be beheaded, I stay away from the allotments. My glass greenhouses have never shifted due to their weight.

Comment

Thank you for you candid advice.
          Looks like the poly option is out.
          Will have to consider something less than 10ft with glass panes due to costs.

Comment

Overall I am pleased with my polycarb GH, like others have said, the panes can me a bit of a pain but I just held mine in place with 2' horizontal lengths of cane on each panel. Works a treat. Others silicone them in. Don't use glass near kids wi footballs.......
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Toughened glass is a good answer if you want a safe greenhouse and these are excellent people to deal with : 6x8 Simplicity Classic aluminium greenhouse - The Greenhouse People - and they have a very good selection and the prices are very competitive.

Comment

Have you thought about a second hand greenhouse ? Both of mine are preowned.
                http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...id=88345182678
                Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts