Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes! I'm a sprouter. Now for the drink. Good night

Comment

Redser - how naughty of you! Just using this thread to raise your game, and your drink! Good night!!

Comment

You know, since my first post it's all gone by like a blur I just noticed the posts were up in the high nineties!
        Anyhow, in the interest of contributing something practical to the thread, by the end of the summer I'm determined to build a mini-greenhouse/over-sized cold frame joby with an automatical vent opener. But maybe that's the drink talking.

Comment

We need photos to prove it - so don't go running off and forgetting all about it! Cheers!!

Comment

I was pondering doing this, and concluded that the most practical way to allow a self opening mechanism would be to effectively fit a window into the lid, and have the vent opener work this. The whole lid could then be opened for access, and there could be space around the window (but still part of the lid) for fitting the opener. I don't actually expect to be making one any time soon though...

Comment

Stumbled across this ...
              campetto_feb24_short.wmv - YouTube

Comment

Actually this one is better, shows the lid opened (need to be quick with the pause button at 24 secs)

Comment

Looked at that and found this - shows how another one was made Automatic cold frame lid lifter - YouTube

Comment

oops forgot the link
                    Timelapse of cold frames with automatically opening windows - YouTube

So it's certainly doable. Thinking something higher would be small enough to heat cheaply and insulate well enough for brining on taller plants like tomatoes through march, april, may nights. Maybe 4 foot cubed. No more shuffle, no more shuffle

Comment

Youtube is banned at work so will have to wait till I get home..........
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

people like me are probably the reason why!

Comment

The one in my link uses an expanding lifter thingy without the hinged arm so its not attached to the lid it just pokes the lid up (IYSWIM)! The lid is very lightweight - maybe wire mesh covered with plastic.
                          The front section of the cold frame is in 2 parts. the top half has the opener attached to it, but this half can also hinge forward and down, out of the way.
                          I'm sure this is as clear as mud and since I watched it only once I've probably got the wrong end of the prodder thingy too!!!

Comment

I wonder would wind ever get under a window with an auto opener on it and rip it off? Say on a sunny but very windy day? Even on a proper greenhouse?

Comment

never had a problem with mine and I've been using them for..... oh-so many years!

Comment

Look what I've just found
                                Build a self-opening cold frame | Permaculture Magazine
                                Anyone made one yet?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X