No announcement yet.

Self opening cold frame...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As BM says ^^^. Also, even on hot days, the window doesn't open very wide, so putting plants in and out and watering would be nigh impossible. On cold days, it would be completely impossible without removing the auto opener and you couldn't do that because its screwed to the inside of the frame.

Comment

BM what happened to your head? It looks like a UFO tried to suck you up but you were too heavy!

Today I have a self opening blowaway! The cover just blew off and I had to rescue it before it went down the street via everybody's back garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        That's good Bren but how do you open the lid if the lid isn't open?......Those springs are quite strong.
        I thought that as well unless they need it to open and close while they're at work. Me I just want a basic coldframe for hardening off instead of using the table and piece of pegged down plastic I'm using just now.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Was having a bad hair day Donna................have been thinking about the auto opener & it is possible........Here we go...........instead of hinging the lid, imagine a cut all round the cold frame say 6" from the top & hinge it from that so the opener can operate the lid and the hinges will lift the lid plus an extra 6" depth........Does that make sense?
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Do you mean that the lid and the top 6" of the frame could be lifted off for access, while the auto-opener opens the lid only.
            THINKS: No, you mean that there would be two sets of hinges - one to open the lid and another set 6" lower down for the user to lift (maybe)?
            Personally, I have adapted an old plastic garden trolley, the sort that has a washing up bowl and hooks for the BBQ tools. I have replaced the top and front and back sides with removable/slidable perspex and I can wheel it around the garden to the sunniest spots.

Comment

By jove she's got it (or is that just a rumour?).......yes, 2 hinges for the lid & 2 hinges 6" further down for the..........lid.................maybe I should patent it...........Nah.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Maybe this should be on the rant page but why do grapes post questions then do a runner, I find it quite rude...........or is that just me being over sensitive.

Comment

Are you mocking me BM?
                  And whatever I have, the Drs say isn't catching - you're all safe!

Comment

Maybe this should be on the rant page but why do grapes post questions then do a runner, I find it quite rude...........or is that just me being over sensitive.
                    You're being over sensitive because it doesn't matter who asks the question, next time someone wants to know we'll have thought it through already!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      You're being over sensitive because it doesn't matter who asks the question, next time someone wants to know we'll have thought it through already!
                      That's very true, plus it gives the grey matter a bit of exercise..........now does anyone want to know how to fit an autovent to a coldframe?...........

Comment

That's very true, plus it gives the grey matter a bit of exercise..........now does anyone want to know how to fit an autovent to a coldframe?...........
                        Have a look at the following Any clues there?

I was toying around with exactly the same idea last year but the lid was too heavy. If memory serves me right, I was leaning towards the louvre opener but can't remember why (it's an age thing).

Ah!, I remember. The louvre opener opens vertically in it's carriage but the window autovent has an arm which would not work. Not sure if you can use the cylinder on its own.

Comment

Typical, it's only taken 12 months to work out, now I don't want one.............

Comment

Was thinking some more about it myself, you could build a lid within the lid (no I haven't been drinking, yet). Should work nicely.

Comment

Will I no longer be a seedling once I get 100 posts?

Comment

Can't wait to see!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X