This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View from the greenhouse door.

Taken this afternoon when i reorganised my greenhouse for the winter.
    Attached Files

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• And the other side. Can't seem to upload more than one pic at a time but I will crack it yet.
      I wasn' born into technology but am trying.
      Attached Files

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• It feels very strange not to have to bat aside the tomatoes anymore.

Attached Files
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Toms gone from the greenhouse (though plenty left in the polytunnels). Still got Peppers, Chillies, Melons and Cape Gooseberries. The plants in trays on the floor are the free perennials I got from T&M

Ring of Fire Chillies

Bell Boy peppers

Still got loads of Scotch Bonnets ripening

Prairie Fire Chillies
          Attached Files
          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• I don't eat chillies but that Ring of Fire plant looks really great, quite a showpiece.

My toms are still doing well in PT. I almost wish they'd hurry up and be finished so I can make more room. I can see how people advise getting the biggest PT you can afford or have space to accommodate. Shame our garden isn't a bit bigger.
            LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• I can't get enough of those black tomatoes.
              I need to grow some.
              Soon.

Comment

• Here's what my PT looks like at the moment, a bit more stocked up than initially. I've still got floor space but the shelving is getting crammed.

As long as I still have enough space to keep a chair to sit on so I can take a cuppa and chill out in there - no one else wants to bother me in there, especially as it gets colder so it's the only place to get a bit of peace and quiet

Chinese cabbage and mooli radish look to be doing nicely but the swiss chard seems more fussy to grow and I've probably over-watered those whereas the radish and cabbage seem to have thrived on plenty of water. Other bits squashed in there are raddichio, choy sum, mustard spinach, tatsoi, spring onions, raspberry bush, coleus and last of the tomatoes.

Left side

Right side

Attached Files
                LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• Marie, what is growing under the plastic cover?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                    Marie, what is growing under the plastic cover?
                    That is a batch of spring onions but the cover was just put on overnight and removed after I took the photo this morning.

I have been extra protective over the blooming spring onions because they are the only thing growing that OH is guaranteed to like. He is so ridiculously fussy over vegetables where I am not fussy and love veg and will try anything.

Comment

• View from the doors into some cages/PT/modifiedGHs.

The 3 GH frames, bought last year and joined together and covered in netting. Grapevine at the far end, miscellaneous brassicas and a few late courgettes bunged in on the front right. Still have loads more spring cabbages waiting to be planted out. 140 seeds was too many but I haven't the heart to chuck them

Hoop and netting fruit cage full of raspberries (Joan J and Glen Ample) under-planted with strawberries.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 07-02-2016, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by craftymarie View Post
                        I have been extra protective over the blooming spring onions because they are the only thing growing that OH is guaranteed to like. He is so ridiculously fussy over vegetables where I am not fussy and love veg and will try anything.
                        My hubby was like that too - would only eat potatoes, carrots and peas But since getting the allotment this year and growing a few other things he's started getting pretty adventurous and is now even ASKING for salads and veg!

I'm like you and will try anything....tho' I must confess to NOT liking radishes Won't be growing those again
                        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                          My hubby was like that too - would only eat potatoes, carrots and peas
                          Hmm, yes potatoes, carrots (at a nag!) and peas sounds about the sum of it although he does really love leeks so I'm hoping to grow those next year. I hope mine gets more adventurous as yours has done then! Good to know I'm not alone with that one

Comment

• Marie, I`ve noticed you have pipe lagging over your frame, my neighbour has this on hers too! but found a problem in that it makes the covering too tight, the cover splits around the seams, so keep an eye out for that. next year I will apply hot spot tape on my frames, this is thinner than pipe lagging so hopefully wont make it tight.
                            Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

• Sharp eyes Chaz Yes I do and you're dead right it does make it tight with the cover - not a problem in the summer with open doors but it does cause an issue when you need to close it fully.

Now it needs to be closed more, I've removed the lagging around one door frame so it zips up without pulling. I think the lagging is most useful in the height of summer when the frame can get super hot but not really necessary now - could just as easy use anti hot spot stuff instead. I ought to just take it all off - too many more interesting jobs I guess!

Comment

• Braved the wet and cold to make a start on bubble wrapping the polly today. Bit of a botch job but I did it myself and struggled to reach up to the roof in the middle so found it a little tricky.

Most of the bubble wrap was recycled so thankfully didn't cost much but time. Hardest bit was devising some extra frame work to hold the bubble wrap back but I used some bamboo sticks wrapped in some thin tubing I found in the garage.

Next year need to remember to plan to do this when the weather is dry and it would also have helped if I'd emptied the tunnel out first instead of having to keep moving things around.

Not sure if I need to tape all the joins. I just taped a few sections where needed but tried to overlap the wrap across the edges instead. Ran out of bubble wrap in the end but don't need a whole roll so might wait until I come across some more.

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X