Water Collection on Open Field

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    That's the bit I was missing thanks. Makes sense now, it will be full by last Spring or early Summer when first needed.
    We'd all be a bit stuffed if we only relied on summer rain to fill the water tanks, whether from a roof or otherwise...

Comment

We also have a few of these dotted around the site

The water is collected on the top plate and drains into the box itself.

We don't have any water so absolutely have to collect it all year round, and a few of these really help when the water butt starts to run dry mid summer....as it is covered the water doesn't evaporate at all.

Comment

I have an IBC tank fed from my greenhouse roof and its nearly always full. I also have about a dozen water butts scattered around the plot,being fed from various chicken coops and sheds.
        I very rarely need to use any mains water.........even the chooks thrive on rain water.
        If the mains are on (which they aren't at the mo) I will usually use them to fill my kettle, thats all!

Why pay money to the water board for stuff that falls out of the sky for nowt and can be collected very easily!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks all - some brilliant ideas. And I was worried no one would reply - I should know better by now

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            We'd all be a bit stuffed if we only relied on summer rain to fill the water tanks, whether from a roof or otherwise...
            I just hadn't thought there was benefit for a water butt on its own as I was only thinking of how it would get replenished during the summer. A water butt / IBC connected to a roof is much more productive of course - a 10 x 8 greenhouse is 7.5 times the area of an IBC, so a months summer rain will half fill it.

It seems that having no lid on water butts is a good idea, increases the collecting area. I guess it needs something to keep the muck out - fine mesh netting of some sort. I'll get rid of my lids!
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Kristen - you need a lid on the water butt as during the summer, the water evaporates.

Leave it off in the winter, and on in the summer!

Or - Leave it off on wet days, and put it back on when it gets hot.

Comment

Good point. I think earlier in the tread there was something about taking the top off the IBC and inverting it (like a funnel). Something like that would presumably prevent the evaporation I suppose. I wonder if gullible people will pay 50 quid for such a gadget?!! My local Garden Centre is full of similar, irrelevant contraptions!

Just needs a lid that is concave, with a hole in the middle and a mesh filter. Simples

Comment

... and a single drop of olive oil. It discourages the Mozzies from invading. Or so I heard!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    Good point. I think earlier in the tread there was something about taking the top off the IBC and inverting it (like a funnel). Something like that would presumably prevent the evaporation I suppose. I wonder if gullible people will pay 50 quid for such a gadget?!! My local Garden Centre is full of similar, irrelevant contraptions!

Just needs a lid that is concave, with a hole in the middle and a mesh filter. Simples
                    See post number 7 - a large piece of plastic pulled down to make a funnel with a small hole would sort it out.

Or the original lid, upside down, with a hole drilled in the middle.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks zazen999

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X