Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Collection on Open Field

Hi

I'm not sure this thread is in the correct place (Mods please move if required)

We have just bought a smaller second polytunnel for the ever extending garden. There's a lovely spot for it in the little field in front of our house, quite sheltered and it would get full sun from nearly dawn till dusk. However, there is one problem, it would be a bit away from our water supply and water butt. So, what i'm wondering is, does anyone have any great ideas for gathering water where there is no shed, garage, greenhouse etc; apart from setting out loads of buckets

I'm trying to think of a way to collect the run off from the sides without losing too much - thinking caps on!
    Last edited by SarahStrawberry; 29-01-2011, 03:45 PM.

Hello s,s thats tricky, the best i can come up with is guttering at ground level raised at front around pt and sink a waterbutt or pollydrum into ground:, or dig a well, or get a long hose pipe, good luck.

Comment

Most elaborate guttering systems seem inadequate,anyone tried the ground drain and collection vessel method?

Comment

I've been pondering the same question, myself. I'm planning to get my Tunnel up this year, and, although I do have access to a tap, I would rather use rain water when possible. I won't be sinking a vessel into the solid clay, that's for sure!

I shall watch this thread with interest.
        Last edited by Glutton4...; 30-01-2011, 12:46 PM.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

The method used in deserts etc is to trap water in the soil ie underground. You could try and construct swales
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The vertical section of the polytunnel will get very little water anyway.

Presuming the polytunnel is a semi circular in section and constructed of nylon or steel tubing overlaid with polythene?......If so fasten the guttering about four foot high and screwed on to the plastic or steel uprights with the requisite fall included. Glue a strip of polythene the length of the guttering and about a foot wide to the polytunnel wall 6 inches above the guttering and lay polythene into the guttering to direct the water into the gutter
            Then just site a water butt at either side to collect water.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

One of the kids in one of the schools I garden in, built a frame out of pallets; and we stuck a water butt inside, covered the top in plastic with a 'funnel' that was pulled in and a hole cut in that....the butt filled up pretty quickly. You could have a few side by side linked, with just the one used for the collection.

Comment

You could try this: Two Wests - Self adhesive polytunnel gutter

It's also available from First Tunnels, Northern Polytunnels, and lots of other polytunnel suppliers.

Comment

Or, someone on our site has an IBC tank with the top section cut off and inverted so that the top becomes the collector. The tank is full, so it must work

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                    Or, someone on our site has an IBC tank with the top section cut off and inverted so that the top becomes the collector. The tank is full, so it must work
                    Unless I've misunderstood its only going to fill up by an inch if you get an inch of rain, is that right?

I reckon an inch on an IBC would be about 25 litres / 5.5 gallons
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      this works really well ive seen a few people doing this
                      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

The average rainfall in Leeds through the Summer is 2 - 2.5" a month, i.e. between 11 and 14 gallons a month over 1 sq.m. - the size of an IBC.

Either my maths is hooky or I'm missing something. Dew collection too perhaps? Or maybe that is enough for careful watering?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                          The average rainfall in Leeds through the Summer is 2 - 2.5" a month, i.e. between 11 and 14 gallons a month over 1 sq.m. - the size of an IBC.

Either my maths is hooky or I'm missing something. Dew collection too perhaps? Or maybe that is enough for careful watering?
                          too early for the maths for me Kirsten, all I know is one chap has one set up like that & with careful watering he doesnt need anything else, it is there all
                          year round and so fills up over the year
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                            it is there all year round and so fills up over the year
                            That's the bit I was missing thanks. Makes sense now, it will be full by last Spring or early Summer when first needed.

Comment

I'm liking the IBC idea! Thanks Sarz - I had heard about the Polytunnel guttering, I had just forgotten about it!
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X