Do we need mastic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we need mastic?

We are just about to put up the secondhand greenhouse we got via Freecycle. Thing is, it took ages to get the glass out when we took it apart as it had been fixed with mastic and we did manage to break a few panes along the way, because they were in so securely. Is it advisable to rebuild the greenhouse using more mastic, or could we get away without?

Any advice gratefully received.
    Last edited by muckdiva; 01-03-2007, 06:54 PM. Reason: dozy spelling!
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Most new greenhouses don't use mastic, just spring clips. As you've found out, if you do use mastic or any sealant it makes it really hard if you have to replace panes. Obviously everyone hopes the panes won't ever get broken, but it can happen - either vandalism, accident or old age. It is much easier to replace panes if they're not permanently fixed in place.

Comment

If you're worried about sealing it, then get some of the draught excluder type sticky backed foam, we used in on our 2nd hand greenhouse (that had also been mastiked previously), and gives a firm footing for the glass as well as some cushioning, plus makes the w clips have to work a bit harder, so much more secure!

We got ours off ebay, 5 rolls for about £12 if I remember, and used most of it on a 10' by 8'

Hope this is of help!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Depends whether it's aluminium or wood framed? If aluminuium it should have rubber seals to seat the glass on and shouldn't really need mastic.

A wooden greenhouse frame could rely on mastic or putty though!

I spent last weekend in my homemade wooden greenhouse mastic-ing where the rain was coming in! When I say mastic, I really mean silicone which is water repellant but comes off quite easily if required! As a drip appeared I siliconed the contact area between wood and glass, only to have the water appear further down the slope. Eventually after chasing leaks I got the majority sealed off, doesn't help though when the wooden frame is rotten to start with!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If it's aluminium then I would buy some new seals from NA KAys ( they sell two sorts) The last thisg you want to do is mastic it is as it will be ridgid and won't flex in the wind & could smash all your glass. the clips are designed to flex with the frame
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Actually mastic is misleading its more like blutack.

I used the mastic bead type stuff to put the glass on top of before using the spring steel tape clips on my secondhand house.

It came from Kays, six beads per drum, rolled up in greaseproof paper.
            More like bluetack than mastic, it is essentail to cushion the glass from the metal.
            Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
            Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
            I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Spot on Peter, I think it's grey in colour isn't it?
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                Spot on Peter, I think it's grey in colour isn't it?
                Without a rummage in the garage, Yes.
                Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, a great help.
                  All at once I hear your voice
                  And time just slips away
                  Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X