No announcement yet.

Running out of space?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thing is the space I'm using is our dining room/conservatory.... i'm on borrowed time!

I think that I have started a lot of stuff a bit too early but I have this huge heated propagator and the poly tunnel so want to get things as early as possible. I still feel too late with the toms and chillis tho. Must do better next year, probably December. Might invest in grow lights.
    Last edited by WiZeR; 25-02-2007, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Haven;t sowed my toms yet Wizer!!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Always sow my toms a few weeks after the chillis and get a perfectly good harvest off them. I know it's nice to get an early crop but sometimes it's a bit better to wait, far less hastle and you still get a lovely crop.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm not sowing anything till April, cosof house move. Usually I'm in the same situation as you lot with seedlings bursting the seems of greenhouse and ownhouse. So will be interesting to see just how much difference it makes!! Usually I do lose quite a few with damping off, legginess, or just being overwhelmed with the amount I need to do cos I've planted so much. Am really missing it tho', usually I start stuff off late Jan at the latest and it really cheers me up to think of the year ahead. Now I'm having to be a non-gardener, and it's horrible!

Comment

Ooh er.

Why the hell is the Stella fridge empty.!!!!!!
            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

bahahaha good point, must fill that back up!

Comment

Why stella though!! We have some wonderful beers in this country after all we lead the world with louts
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Wizer,
                  Re leggy seedlings - I picked a tip off the Vine which has worked really well for me. When you prick the seedlings out and repot, bury the spindly stem up to the leaves. I have done this this year and all of the seedlings are coming on really well. Perhaps its beginners luck but it might work for you......
                  Jools

Comment

cheers jools, will try that

Nick: I do actually like Stella, but the fridge mainly holds white wine as I don't drink much anymore. I much prefer Cider if I am going to have a drink.
                    Last edited by WiZeR; 27-02-2007, 10:05 AM.

Comment

If you are going to give up on your spindly seedlings and start again, bear in mind that they are edible....I've finally given up on a tray of cauliflower seedlings, but I've eaten them and - guess what? - they taste like cauliflowers!

It might be a small start, and not how they were intended to be eaten when I sowed them, but it's still GYO!

Comment

Mr D was off today, and has been busy planting, so now we too have an ironing board full of seed trays next to the back bedroom windowsill (thats already full of seedlings and propogators!) Dont think I'm going to be able to leave Mr D alone in the house, I'm scared that I wont be able to get into my kitchen or bed at this rate!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                          ...now we too have an ironing board full of seed trays next to the back bedroom windowsill....
                          Ah, but at least you've got an excuse not to do the ironing, Mrs D!

Comment

Lol, hadnt thought of that, nice one Hazel!
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Glad you found a use for your ironing board Mrs D.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Newspaper pots

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0142.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2318486

I liked your newspaper pot idea Wizer, but was trying to think of an easier way. Came up with this. Fold the newspaper into several thicknesses so the strips are just a bit wider than the height of pot you want. Using a straight sided glass of the size of pot you want , lay it on the strip leaving a little bit hanging over the bottom edge and roll it up. Apply a couple of little bits of sellotape to join the seam. Fold the bottom edge in anyway it will go, leaving a hole in the middle, and apply some sellotape. very quick to do.
                                Have only made the one in the pic so far as wanted to check how it would stand up to wetness. It's been outside for 2 weeks so fine that way.
                                Plan to make some more but anybody got a better idea than the sellotape.
                                Some kind of glue stick maybe ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X