chilli envy, need lights

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chilli envy, need lights

Am feeling sick about my poor pathetic chilli plants who just aren't getting enough light and I have some questions about how one might go about putting things right:
    Is there a cheap, easy and most importantly subtle lighting solution which I could quickly aquire and implement, idealy right under OHs nose?

After some random googling, I came across a lot of, ..um.., illict sites selling metal h-something lightbulbs for an absolute fortune. Are these what my chillies want?

If I were to fork out for a metal h-something lightbulb, can I just find one which will fit in a desk lamp or will I explode somthing? (already on thin ice after last months chimney fire)

And finally, Can I just get a lightbulb, or is there other kit required? I only really need this for my silly chillies, and my otherwise saintly OH will not be amused if I've brought home much else in the quest to sustain them.

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

llamas
    The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Just get a 'daylight' bulb (around 20w eco will do) and a desk lamp!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Or you could just sow them later when there's more available daylight? (not all varieties need to be sown in Jan/Feb)
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i use 2 cheap desk lamps with low energy 30w standard bulbs fitted seems to have worked fine, they are on bedroom windowsill above a radiator.

Comment

Where are they - mine are in the greenhouse and are coming on nicely...they aren't supposed to be huge yet....have you got a photo at all?

Comment

Thanks for advice everyone, I've just bought a nice shiny daylight bulb which will fit into the desklamp in the sitting room.

As for chilli size, they're about an inch high with four true, but small leaves. Two Sheds, you're very right and I'm sure that one day, I will have more sense and just wait.
            The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

mine are in the conservatory in the daytime and in the kitchen at night. No extra light but doing well with about three sets of true leaves and looking very healthy at the moment.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mine are in the conservatory and vary in height between about 3.5" and 1" but they'll all be fine and a reasonable size by the time I plant them in the final positions in about 6 weeks time.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X