Growing under fleece?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing under fleece?

I would like to start my potatoes of quite early this year - I have been advised this will help improve the compacted soil at one end of my plot.

Would they benefit from the protection of fleece or a cloche? Whats the difference? If I use fleece do I need to use a frame or just trail is over and secure?

Any advice much appreciated!
    Last edited by Clarea1; 07-01-2006, 08:52 PM.

Fleece

I would go for fleece, however I don't think you will need it with certain varieties as long as you keep earthing up.

BUT if you want to warm up the soil, fleece and black plastic will do it, I would cover with well rotted manure and then black plastic and plant the potatoes through the plastic.

Andrewo
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

We use quite a lot of fleece generally and use it on a few early spuds as it's difficult for us to get down to the allotment during the week if we suddenly find there may be a frost that day.I am sure a cloche would also be fine for your potatoes. I like fleece as the rain can still get through and will lift slowly as the plants grow.You don't have to worry about wildlife getting under it either (other than slugs!).The only problem is that you will need plenty of bricks etc to stop it from blowing away in high winds (the little pegs can be a bit too little). We do sometimes drape it over the wire from old cloche frames for veg like lettuce which can rot. I know there are many different types of cloche covering about these days too so you may be able to get the best of both worlds! There are several types of fleece on the market from perforated plastic through to different grades of thickness of fibre.A lot of the cheaper fibre fleeces may only last one year before they begin to biodegrade. If you decide to use fleece I would go to a large garden centre and as which one they use on their plants. You may pay a bit more than a bargin price but if it lasts 2 or 3 years then wou will be happier.Perhaps your fellow allotment holders can advise you on which brand/type they find the best.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X