No announcement yet.

How much can I cram in an 8x7 greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We grow into our greenhouse border and fill the beds quite full. Thin the tomato/chilli/pepper lower branches for airflow and grow basil and other stuff in between. These pics were from quite early (July) in their growth but if you can keep a good airflow, whilst not getting them too cold...pack 'em in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	greenhousejuly.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.7 KB ID:	2574834
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ghtoms.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.2 KB ID:	2574835
    Click image for larger version  Name:	aubergines.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	2574836
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-02-2024, 04:36 PM. Reason: Oh, this is our old 6'x8' GH
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have raised bed on a concrete floor in my greenhouse, the bed measures seven ft. six long by two ft. six wide and fifteen in. high, and the greenhouse is fourteen by eight, in the bed I usually grow ten tomato plants three peppers and a couple of basil along with a permanent rosemary plant, last year I also grew a trombonceno in the bed with them, I will be growing much the same this year with the only change being the trombo will be at the other end of the bed, as I had to break the plant several times to get in the door, the remaining space is taken up by a propagation bed and wood storage for my fire, I most definitely will not be posting any photos of the greenhouse, your winter storage greenhouse looks very tidy in comparison
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I should have added that's one side of the greenhouse the other side is where I have a potting bench and staging for holding seedlings, plants which have been potted on along with a multitude of pots and trays the centre space of the back wall is where I have a log burner
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I did have beds either side at first but run off from the fields behind flooded it often so OH concreted it like the rest. Plus they harboured munching critters easier
          Your greenhouse sounds lovely rary with its log burner. Do you use that for heating your gh. Mine has no heating. I've never yet managed to keep a rosemary alive
          Northern England.

Comment

No CG I use it for heating myself, it's nice to stand beside a fire when sowing seeds or transplanting, it would take to much wood to keep the fire going overnight and I doubt if OH would get out of bed to go and stock it up through the night, there's just not the same commitment nowadays😕 I keep the plants frost free with an enclosed propagator bed plus a propagation mat, I also have a spare heating cable which I am considering burying in my raised bed to provide heat at the tomato roots, I have acquired a large clear sheet of plastic which I could make into a tent to surround the bed
            Last edited by rary; 10-02-2024, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I think I could do more to keep more warmth in my gh. some thinking to be done.
              Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                I think I could do more to keep more warmth in my gh. some thinking to be done.
                If you get bubblewrap. Get the fastenings that keep it about an inch off the glass. Some fittings don't give a gap.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X