How much can I cram in an 8x7 greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can I cram in an 8x7 greenhouse

I tend to use it as a potting shed too but perhaps I should elbow my way in to OHs shed for that and have an area outside (when weather permits).
    it's concrete floor as when I had beds they flooded (back field, sloping etc).
    Last yr I decided to get growing again I had 4 pots of tomatoes each side and a couple of chilli plants on staging at the back.
    Will see if I can find a picture.
    Wondering just how much I dare grow together. Seems wasted space to me to not have it full
    Any advice please.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Containergardener; 23-01-2024, 03:27 PM.
    Northern England.

I reckon you could get another 2 pots either side, maybe even 3, but wait for a more experienced person than me before making a decision.

I would caution against over-filling the space as toms like a bit of breathing space/air around them to avoid blight. x

PS lovely clean & tidy greenhouse you have there

Comment

Yer it doesn't look like that now.
      Last edited by Containergardener; 23-01-2024, 04:01 PM.
      Northern England.

Comment

Northern England.

Comment

Was that enough toms for you, CG? If so, you could maybe grow something in between the tom plants that's not quite as tall as them. Me, I'd be tempted by pepper plants, though they can grow quite bushy.

Comment

Still pretty tidy by my reckoning - see attached pic of what we inherited on our plot a few years back for comparison to make you feel much much better - at least everything you have is either overwintering or useful

I'd add cucumber to the mix along with Snoop Puss' pepper if you're after suggestions for tomato alternatives
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice assortment there

Yes peppers and cuc would be good. Didn't do cucumbers last year and not sure I have ever done sweet pepppers, there is a free packet of sweet citrine? Amongst my stash though.
              Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                Was that enough toms for you, CG? If so, you could maybe grow something in between the tom plants that's not quite as tall as them. Me, I'd be tempted by pepper plants, though they can grow quite bushy.
                I'd like something else but we eat lots of toms, thinking of doing some little ones outside . I know they will take an age to ripen but that's fine. Not sure which yet though and I do have an outdoor cucumber seed packet I may try too.
                I like the pepper plant plan. I have some seeds already unused.
                Last edited by Containergardener; 23-01-2024, 04:57 PM.
                Northern England.

Comment

CG I grow Mini Bell tomatoes on my GH racking they’re a bush variety that doesn’t grow very tall so perfect for pots.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've got all sorts of rubbish in mine
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

I've not heard of minibell , sounds perfect. Thanks Bren.
                      Northern England.

Comment

Trying to think of something a bit more exciting maybe a cordon fruit (peaches/lemons maybe). Aubergines would be ok in a pot & appreciate the greenhouse.

Comment

I had never thought of anything like that. Would they be ok in an unheated gh over winter. Mine was -10 this year.
                          Northern England.

Comment

You should be ok with a peach or nectarine. It's worth checking the varieties to get one best suited. My understanding is the issue tends to be more of the blossom getting caught in frost rather than them being particular about being cold in winter (I'm sure I read somewhere they actually like a bit of cold when dormant).

Citrus family generally won't be happy with a temp that low so would need to be moved into a cool indoor porch/conservatory type setting in winter. I'm not sure whether fleecing etc. would do the job but maybe someone else can give some advice on that. x

Comment

I added two of the 6 foot Rhino shelfs to my 8X 6. The floor is full of my wife's fucshias. My 10X12 is where I grow tomatoes, figs, cape gooseberries , and others
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	D4824518-7573-40B1-995C-AD19EDDD7B4F_1_105_c.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	377.1 KB ID:	2574445
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DannyK; 01-02-2024, 04:26 PM.
                              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X