Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse gutter outlets?

Hi All

Wondering if anyone can help please. We moved into our new house at the beginning of the year and inherited a rather old but still very serviceable greenhouse (lucky us!). I'm looking to put some water butts on, but only one side has the gutter outlet pipes and I'm struggling to find a replacement as they seem to be a lot wider, but shorter than the standard(?) The gutter looks to be about 40mm wide by 15mm height - I've attached a couple of pics. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Mark
    Attached Files

Sorry if this seems to be an obvious remark, but you might do well to take one to a hardware store and see what they suggest. Maybe it's a local standard and an old shop might be able to help.

Comment

Snoop’s idea is worth following
      Alternatively, canyou see the make of your greenhouse ?,,,, it’s often attached on a plaque near the entrance. Maybe that company could direct you to replacement parts if it came originally with that guttering?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you're unable to find anything that fits, I make downpipes from string/rope. These are on sheds etc but the principle should work on a greenhouse. Hope the photos explain

Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	2547218 Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	665.4 KB
ID:	2547219 Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	570.4 KB
ID:	2547220
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Mark my downpipe is made of 1and 1/4inch waste pipe its just pushed on to the ends of the gutter.

Name:	ghguttering.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2547241

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            Mark my downpipe is made of 1and 1/4inch waste pipe its just pushed on to the ends of the gutter.

Name:	ghguttering.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2547241

Ours is very similar, not overly pretty but it does the job.

Comment

Bones- I’ve seen something similar using decorative chains instead of down pipes on house extensions.
              Brill idea to try it with rope. Good to know that also works!

Comment

We put chains on our summerhouse/tea house to fit in with the slightly Japanese aesthetic (Zen, raked gravel and so on) of that part of the garden. Looked great, but...

It's quite tricky to route the water from the gutter to the top of the chain - you would think is would be straightforward but, believe me, it's not.

In any wind above a gentle breeze, that is most of the time here, the water detaches from the chain and blows all over the place.

We concluded that rainwater draining off Japanese temples was better behaved than pesky Cornish rain, and installed an awful plastic downpipe.
                ​​​​
                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I've tried chain too Q but heavy rain splashed sideways off each link. Not nearly as aesthetically pleasing but a heavy flow follows the rope better.
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Any solution would be better than the downpipe to the left of the teahouse here.

Name:	Compress_20220613_073036_6423.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2547267
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Could you fit something like this below quanglewangle If there's not much room to fit the connection pipe between the two 45 degree joints they can be offset (i.e take the downpipe from the gutter above the centre of a window and lengthen the connection piece so it joins the next 45 deg joint on the solid wood next to the window).

Click image for larger version  Name:	D-pipe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	2547272
                      Last edited by Mr Bones; 13-06-2022, 07:36 AM. Reason: word it better
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Something like this

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-13 084233.png
Views:	177
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	2547276
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Very kind of you Mr Bones. I have stood in B&Q for the longest time assembling nightmare hamster mazes with guttering to try to model the problem.

I will take you picture with me...

Comment

You know you can paint downpipes with Cuprinol to help them blend in a bit better too?

Nice idea Bones.

Q….where does the drainpipe actually end up- water storage container ? We camouflage our containers with heather screen. Could you wrap a sheath of it around or over your pipe to help it blend in?

Comment

Ps…I love the idea of your zen garden!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X