Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foldaway shelving

Afternoon all!

I got a greenhouse (a small but perfectly-formed 6x4) earlier this year and didn't buy any staging or built-in shelving at the time. I had maxed out the budget on the greenhouse and to be honest didn't really know what I wanted in terms of shelving anyway. As its such a small space I really need to be able to make the most of it and would now like some shelves, but they need to be something i can take down in summer when the tomatoes etc are using the space. I've seen various types of foldaway shelves which look ideal which just fold down flat against the glass when not in use (they are mesh so not much light reduction). Are they any good? Any possible issues with these that anyone's had?

Thanks!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

I was looking at something similar on greenhouse sensation website. Looked good but quite expensive. I do have one set of staging which is up permanently to hold tools etc.

Now I've had my 6x8 for three growing seasons I realised what I needed was a lot of shelves in the spring for seed sowing and little plants, that I can take down before I put my tomatoes etc in their final position. This winter I've bought a blowaway from amazon for about £25 (I had vouchers) ie shelving with a plastic cover. I figure I can bring the cover into play this spring to give frost protection. The shelves come to bits easily enough, and I've kept the box. You get keenly priced blow aways from Wilco, if you have one near to you.

I might still buy a folding shelf or two, but this wouldn't have given me the temporary space I need.
    Last edited by Babru; 14-01-2022, 08:30 AM.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Another user of blow-away frame and shelves here. I think the only thing that might tempt me to move from that would be wheels, so I could drag all the plants outside more easily than take each tray off the shelves and outside on nice days

Comment

You can disassemble dexion shelving - sometimes available second hand on an auction site. It's mild steel, so you can easily cut the uprights to size with a hacksaw.

Comment

Thanks all - I currently have the shelving from my old blowaway in there, but its been well used and was exposed to the weather in the blowaway so is definitely on the rickety side hence wondering if I should move to something more permanent. Loving the idea of something with wheels to just move the plants outside!

Babru - I need exactly the same as you, lots of shelves for trays and small plants which will later be removed to make way for the tomatoes.

Think I will probably stick with what I have for now and think again next year if it doesn't work! It's such a small space (but still bigger then the blowaway!!) that I'm trying to figure out how to get as much out of it as the busy time of year as I can!
          If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Where a greenhouse definitely scores over an outside blowaway w33, is just that! No need to weigh it down with stones. I tried a blowaway at first, to see if I might like a greenhouse. Two covers torn to shreds in one season. A greenhouse is the business! I love mine, and I'm sure you'll love yours too.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X