Alternative to Greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Greenhouse?

So I popped this thread in here as it's greenhouse related but not in the expected way..

Situation:

I have a large greenhouse and I bascially use it for a short while to get a feed seeds going, and then the rest of the time it's keeping fire wood dry

Mr Shortie is looking at building a decent shed (to work on the motorbikes etc) on the other side of the garden, wil need to build a base etc, is happy to do so.

I got to thinking today that I might get rid of the greenhouse on it's concrete base so that Mr Shortie can build his shed there - the greenhouse is mostly storing wood, as I say

But, I will lose the direct light to grow seedlings.... I do also have what we call the 'summer shed' - it has glass fronted doors on one of the long sides - but I'm not convinced it would be warm enough / bright enough to get the seedlings going.

Where do others get seedlings going if they don't have a greenhouse? I don't want them round the house if possible, and it seems crazy keeping a huge greenhouse for a few trays of bits
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

I'm getting 8 months growing stuff in the greenhouse and I'm hoping to add another 2 months to that growing potatoes for Christm@s, but I grow in the border soil, which I was advised was the better option, which I have to say I am finding to be true. If it were me I'd let your hubby build build his shed on your concrete base and re-build your greenhouse on the soil. There's so much stuff you can grow under glass, I'm planning further areas to grow under glass, ok I'm in NE Scotland, but even so, the things possible are huge.

Comment

....... I hadn't actually thought about simply moving the greenhouse. I never grow tomatoes or chillies in there as I find things in pots dry out much quicker in a greenhouse than I have time to keep on top of.

Thanks Burnie - it now seems so blooming obvious!
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I like Burnies idea of moving the GH it seems a shame to lose it I'm another who grows in my GH border just now it has toms and basil then on the racking I have cucs and chillis. July, August I sow winter lettuce readying for planting after the toms are out also a bucket or two of carrots and some peas for shoots. I do like to pick a few lettuces leaves for my lunch.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have one building which I made myself which is greenhouse at one end and workshop at the other. It has a glass wall in the centre to keep the warmth and moisture in as much as possible to the GH end and a door to go between the two ends.

The workshop has a poly carb roof, as I like as much natural light as possible. I don't use the GH much these days now I have a 6x3 m poly-tunnel too - in fact the GH needs a good clear out really - one day perhaps.

Comment

Clearly, I entirely support the idea of having somewhere to fix one's motorbikes. I am in the lucky position of having a garage and a greenhouse.

I would say that the requirements are somewhat contradictory, hot sunshine won't do good things to the paintwork, and humidity won't be good for anything.

There are various thin greenhouses that are effectively a glazed box that you work in from the outside. Would that work? ie put a sensible-sized shed up for the workshop and then put a glazed box on the most south-facing wall.

This sort of thing (for reference only, I have no idea if they are any good etc)
            https://www.swgreenhouses.co.uk/mini...ll-garden.html

You may even find that if he is out working on the bikes in the winter, it will keep the greenhouse warmer, so you'll get additional growing time.

Re drying out - a drip-feed system will sort that out.

Make sure he gets a big enough shed and builds a workbench strong enough to hold the heaviest thing he's got and then some. And power, and decend security.

Comment

Oh my goodness - that's a great idea nickdub, and thanks for the link bikermike - I had no idea those kinds of things even existed! My Shortie has just restarted his shoft pattern so early next week will probbably be my mian time to catch him - I don't even know if the greenhouse base is big enough for what he wants

But, something like that would be absolutely fine for what I need - plenty of shelves to get seedlings going, and then space to eep plants that need to stay warmer throughout the year.

And for the tips on the inside of the workshop too bikermike

Shortie

Comment

Being a cheap skate most of my building materials were either recycled wood, stone horticultural glass and aluminium glazing bars I'd salvaged in the past, plus one ex- conservatory which someone was having replaced and flogged their old one on Ebay - that's where the 3 x 5m triple - poly-carb roof came from for the workshop end.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X