Potatoes at Christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes at Christmas

I know, a big groan, but I would like to grow potatoes for Christmas. I have never done this before, so, what type would you recommend, keeping in mind the I'm a Maris Piper person.

I intend to use containers, so what size would you recommend, and what is the best way to grow them
    James the novice

I usually use Maris Peer, Charlotte or Elizabeth and but 3 in a tub ( biggest I could get from the £shop about 18"diameter.

Plant them in about 3" of compost I usually add a bit of Potato fertiliser and cover with another 3" then when they are about 6" tall top them up with another 3"-4" and keep going. I normally plant around September and then they go into the greenhouse to keep them frost free and if the tops die off leave them in the tubs as they will keep in the moist compost for ages. Then come Chrimbo bask in the glory that you have earned (don't forget that you'll have to sow your Kelsae Onions Boxing day so that gets you out of the washing up
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Excellent advice...I grow Vales Emporer....always found to be great for me.
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Hi Geordie,

You're rarer than me on here Trust you are well?
        ntg

Comment

Flipping heck!!!!!

The two of you on at the same time!

Hello to you both!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

see you thought we were the same person didn't you
            ntg

Comment

Are seed potatoes available in the garden centres at this time of year?

Comment

seed potatoes available in our local GC...ive got pentland javelin to plant soon

Comment

You might be lucky if you have a proper garden centre and not a garden store that sell plants .

Failing that a bag of Maris peer baby spuds from the supermarket are ok and relatively cheap
                  ntg

Comment

Great tips. I've just been given a huge tub. More like a half water but! Was planning on leaving it outside with potatoes in, far too big for the greenhouse. Will that be ok or will frost be a problem? Really new to this.
                    Have got a couple of smaller pots that I am planning on using for new potatoes in the greenhouse.
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I thought that you were not supposed to plant supermarket spuds? will they be ok????????

Comment

supermarket spuds ok in pots n tubs...its the risk of putting diseased taties in your plot thats the problem...

Comment

Can you use potatoes from your latest crop as seeds for potatoes at Christmas? We've grown Home Guard & Lady Christl first earlies and would love to have more asap!

Would you advise chitting as usual?
                          Last edited by dalesman; 22-08-2008, 03:38 PM.

Comment

we planting our pentland javelin that were our first earlies for xmas....apparently there is no need to chit them as they are not proper seed taties and left in the light will go green

Comment

Originally posted by Little Lottie View Post
                              I thought that you were not supposed to plant supermarket spuds? will they be ok????????
                              Markwcels spot on. It's not recommended that you plant in the soil but tubs is OK and then use the compost as a mulch for your flower beds but no where you are going to grow tomatoes, potatoes or their relatives just incase you spread something you shouldn't.

I'm just sorting mine out (6 x Elizabeth and 1 tub or Red Duke of York just to try it)

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                              Great tips. I've just been given a huge tub. More like a half water but! Was planning on leaving it outside with potatoes in, far too big for the greenhouse. Will that be ok or will frost be a problem? Really new to this.
                              Have got a couple of smaller pots that I am planning on using for new potatoes in the greenhouse.
                              If you have to leave it outside rap some bubblewrap round the outside to insulate it and see if you can rig some sort of cover ( cheapo clear plastic brolly would be good ) then you can control the water into the tub and rather than drill the holes in the bottom for drainage put them about 1" up from the bottom that way you'll have a reservoir of water and the drainage hole won't get blocked as it might if you stand it on the ground.

The smaller tubs will be OK (mine are about 18" across at the top and hold about 25lts of compost.
                              ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X