Protection for the young

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection for the young

When Spring comes most of us will be eager to get a head start in the vegetable plot. Protection for early seeds to enable this early start is often a problem and for many the only solution is a kitchen window sill or a spare bedroom with a propagator set up on the dressing table near a window.
    I was wondering how many of us have access to other methods.
    I know that for years I used to use two plastic covered mini staging units that later in the year would then be turned in to protection to grow tomatoes.
    This year I built my first greenhouse so I am looking froward to an early start this spring.
    Jax
    Plastic covered mini staging
    17.39%
    Coldframe
    26.09%
    Cold greenhouse
    32.61%
    Poly tunnel
    6.52%
    Heated greenhouse
    10.87%
    Conservatory / Sunroom
    6.52%

I have a greenhouse which is heated in the winter. To begin with I grew tomatoes on the bedroom windowsill which were a great success. I planted one seed per jiffy pot now I use 4 inch plant pots that are recycled each year. One reason for getting a greenhouse was peas and beans sown directly in the ground kept disappearing - presumably eaten by mice.
    [

Comment

I have two 8x6 greenhouses on my allotment, one is partially heated but only from February to help early seedlings.

I grow tomatoes, peppers, chillis, melon, cucumber, aubergine, over wintering salads & strawberries.

Would anybody like a posting on different ways to grow tomatos, or save it till spring?
      Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I would Geordie, as a newbie I'm trying to find out everything I can now so I can plan!

Comment

Hi Jaxom,

I gro Dahlia's Chrysanths & Veg, so being greedy I've got a 12 x 8 (heated) and an 8 x 6 Cold greenhouse plus two coldframes but I still struggle for room in the spring Does anyone else struggle like me or do you just limit yourself as to what you grow. I can't resist takig a few extra cutting .... just in case
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

You are lucky having 2 greenhouses. It really is a juggling act fitting everything into one greenhouse and one propogator.
            [

Comment

Full House

Someone else (think it was Geordie) advised another member to buy the biggest greenhouse they could afford as no matter what size it is, it will not be big enough the following year. Never has a truer word been written. I used a neighbours greenhouse last year and have my own unheated one now, but I already wish it was twice the size and as Lesley says, it will be a constant juggling act to keep all my cuttings, bedding plants, flowers and veg seedlings happy and healthy.
              Rat
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Lesley & Sewer rat,

Tel me about it! I started with the 8 x 6 then added a 7x4 coldframe that I can pack away (8 bolts), this wasn't enough space so I got the 12x 8 last year I built anothe coldfram 12 x 4 as there STILL wsn't enough room for all the stuff I do grow few thing to sell at the plant sale our Chrysanth & dahlia club runs but most of it's mine. The biggest problem I have is stopping taking cuttings, I've already got 20 Geraniums & 20 Fuchsia's rooting on the bench ... it seemd a waste to throw them. Any that i've got left at the end of the spring ususlly ends up with the folks on the lottie site so they all hide in their sheds now when they see me unloading the car :-) I enjoy this time of year as you can tell, I think I'm in the wrong job, I should be a proffesional proagator ( if you see what I mean )
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Yes, this all strikes a chord! I used to have two greenhouses and two large cold frames but they still weren't big enough. Now I've moved and just have the one greenhouse (but at least it's in the garden rather than at an allotment several miles away). I have a bigger cold frame than before though and this is proving very useful as many of the things I kept in the greenhouse(s) can be kept in there and will harden off more quickly.

What I find is that I just can't throw prunings away - they ALL become "cuttings" - even if I've already got 30 lavender plants etc etc! One thing that has helped with this is to have one of my raised beds devoted to being a nursery bed - in summer I just stick things into it and if they survive they survive and if they don't - at least I haven't wasted precious greenhouse space!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X