New poly tunnel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New poly tunnel

I'm contemplating joining the poly brigade,I live in Angus a mile from the sea, so it's breezy.Any advice on type and construction,I'm thinking of about 10 foot by 20 foot,also has anyone grown sweetcorn in a tunnel as mine's struggling a bit outside.

Hi Burnie,

You need to speak to Jennie, she grow in one in Shetland !
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Hi Burnie - I have never looked back since getting the polytunnel!

I have a 14ft by 20ft First Tunnels and if you look on the thread Polytunnels Design and Price back in December, I describe the one I got. If you search on polytunnels too, you should pick up most of the threads which includes quite a bit of info from those of us who use polytunnels.

Sweetcorn - there was a bit of debate earlier in the year as to whether I could grow it up here, even in the tunnel, but I am pleased to say that the two plants are going great guns, with the tassels forming on the top and one plant showing signs of the little cobs growing on the sides. Bit of an experiment really. But then thats gardening

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thanks Jennie

I'll be aiming for next season now as the ground is still a couple of flower beds.I notice that you use raised beds, I use them outside, do they dry out inside?

Comment

Burnie
          Don't have a polytunnel myself as yet (next year will have three !) but a mate of mine has a large polytunnel and he has successfully grown sweetcorn in it for the last three seasons - and he is only half a mile from the sea and quite exposed on his site.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thats good news Rat about the sweetcorn. Been out and "shaken" mine this morning, to help pollination.

Burnie - I do find the raised beds dry out a bit in the polytunnel and do need a bit of extra watering. If you are using existing flower beds, things should be easier. My polytunnel went into the corner of the small field next to our house and the ground was thick with perennial weeds. It has taken me a long time to dig it all out and the main raised bed was in an effort to speed things up.

I meant to say that a very good polytunnel book is Bernard Salt's Growing Under Plastic. I have found it very useful. There is also another book about choosing your site and type of polytunnel, but can't remember the name at the moment. Will try and look it up. I didn't get this one as I already had the tunnel.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Super Moderator

I've just noticed that Jennie is now a Super Moderator on our Vine and want to say Congratulations Jennie

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice - not a super though - just a moderator (with L plates!)
                ~
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jenny congrats on your promotion.
                  By the way , tried to send you a PM but don't know if it went. Perhaps when you have a minute you can let me know.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi burnie. when looking around please cheque tunnels with 5 or 6 ft.sides as I just rushed into buying one hoop shape, you can only have hight bead center of the tunnel, wish you all the best, it is worth all your efford. looking forward to your tunnel. luck from john tate.

Comment

tunnel plans progressing

I've spotted a high sided 15x10 on e-bay from first tunnels I like the look of and may dive in next month and buy.Ground area is pretty much cleared,found some of that lovely ground elder,weren't those victorian gardeners a lovely bunch....NOT!!!!
                      Question. I love eating celery,not the tasteless green rubbish in the shops,can I have a small raised bed full of that in my tunnel?

Comment

I wouldn't put it in the tunnel burnie.

Celery was a bog plant originally so it won't appreciate the high temperatures. what you must do is dig in loads of muck as the more moisture you can hold the better.

Do you plan on growing the self blanching sort or they sort you need to blanch? Either way it's a good idea to grow it on the north side of your runner beans as it will appreciate the shade.
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X