will my polytunnel g/house be enough?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will my polytunnel g/house be enough?

I hope to get a picture soon but we only managed to get the cover back on yesterday then it poured down. I inherited the polytunnel g/house with the lottie. Took the cover home to try and repair as best as i can all the gaping seams and the broken zip on the door. Put it back on frame yesterday and secured as best as we could. Noticed I missed a couple of seams which I may mend with some gaffa tape. Wasnt sure how to repair the zip so in the end I put a row of small cable ties all down the length and cable tied the one side of the door so to get in now we are just undoing one side of the door whicg seems to give us enough room to get in. With all these repairs to it though I ma just wondering if it will be sufficient to grow in as there will still be a fair bit of air getting it. I guess it will be a tad warmer than outside.

we were hoping to grow strawberries, tomatoes, peppers and maybe a fig tree in it the veg goin into growbags this year maybe some other sald stuff to.

what do you think? will it provide enough weather proofing to grow these in?

I wouldn't bother growing strawberries in a polytunnel, Mrs B. They are perfectly hardy, the only reason for growing them under protection would be for earlier crops. I would certainly use the tunnel for tomatoes, peppers and tender stuff, but I think maybe a fig tree would be a bit big?

Comment

I'd say you'll be alright - depending on what your photos reveal!

The fig tree might be alright if you keep it in a pot to control its growth.
      Resistance is fertile

Comment

By the sound of it (zipped cover), you might have the same polytunnel as me its 3m x 2m and has a zipped door both ends.
        If it is the same one

then you can get a replacement cover here it is the SC680GW (White) 2x3 EZ Grow "Pro"Tunnel Greenhouse that I have. When mine eventually goes I plan on making a wooden door frame and using proper polytunnel plastic.

One thing you do need to do with them is make sure that the tunnel cant sink into the ground as this make the cover go loose and lets the wind rip it to shreds usually at the seems first, you can stop it sinking by putting a brick under each foot of the tunnel.

I had an excellent crop of cucumbers last year in my tunnel

Cheers Chris
        Last edited by crichmond; 18-03-2008, 08:50 AM.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

yes, that seems very much like mine but mines a bit more careworn!!!

thanks all for the advice. I love tomatoes and peppers so those definately. I was going to grow fig tree in pot anyway so thats good as well!! weekend here I come

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X