• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^^I am going to behave for 1 year and reign my seedaholic nature in a bit

Comment

• Hahahahaha ^^^^^. it'll be the shortest year known to man/womankind

Comment

• lol, thanks for that vote of confidence Nice to see you are on form tonight

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          ^^^I am going to behave for 1 year and reign my seedaholic nature in a bit
          Having lots of seeds gives you choice....:P
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
            There have been WORDS in our house tonight - after strict instructions to eat the red tomatoes not the stripey ones, Mr Sparrow was caught tucking into one of the 2 Berkeley Tie-Dye brought home for seed saving. He is Very Shamefaced.
            That happens in my house too maddening!

Comment

• A little update so far....

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
              Update:
              Abraham Lincoln....failed
              Ferris Wheel... Nice big fruits, non ripe as yet
              Brown sugar.. Few big fruits, non ripe as yet
              White Beauty, the biggest 1 fruit I've ever seen, non ripe as yet.
              Cyril's choice, lots of fruits, non ripe as yet.
              dancing with smurfs, load of stunning fruit, tastes awful.
              Everything that is not a F1 has been rubbish, at this rate it's unlikely I'll have anything to pass on.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

• What a shame Seasprout! I'm not having a huge success ...I have a few rodents that keep taking chunks out of my fruit I managed to save some beautiful Lima Korai specimens, bagged them on the plants...they were really ripe, I fermented them on the kitchen window for a day longer than usual....and most of them sprouted! It's been very hot in my kitchen with the aga pumping heat ive hot some brown sugar....started them very late..fingers crossed I'll get some ripe ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                  Right! The "Jury's" in!

Will save:

Black Krim
                  Harbinger
                  Yellow Perfection

And just because we can, I'll do the "Rosella" too, just for interest's sake!
                  Update on proceedings!

We have "Yellow Perfection" 3 Tomatoes set aside for seed collection

"Harbinger" have 2 tomatoes set aside. "Black Krim" never set fruit! Plant still alive n thriving, just don't get that, will persevere n see what happens, But "Rosella" still a little confused as to this is an F1 or not! But fruit saved, will keep you updated!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Ive looked everywhere...I found one mention that Rosella was an F1 on a tesco website but none of the seed suppliers mention it so I'll stick my head out and say it isn't.

Does anyone have any info that says it is an F1?

Comment

• Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                      Everything that is not a F1 has been rubbish, at this rate it's unlikely I'll have anything to pass on.

Any luck Seasprout? We could reduce to one variety if you and a few others are finding it tough? Or you could just do a smaller quantity of seeds per pack....just 4 seeds maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Ive looked everywhere...I found one mention that Rosella was an F1 on a tesco website but none of the seed suppliers mention it so I'll stick my head out and say it isn't.

It is definitely not F1- it's from the same breeder as Sweet Aperitif
                        https://awhaley.com/seeds/vegetables...netics/rosella

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Ive looked everywhere...I found one mention that Rosella was an F1 on a tesco website but none of the seed suppliers mention it so I'll stick my head out and say it isn't.

Well I looked it up in the EU catalogue of registered vegetable varieties and it is included in the section "24. Solanum lycopersicum L. - Tomato - Varieties developed for growing under particular conditions". The only info given there is "UK". If it was a hybrid, column four would say "H" for hybrid, but it doesn't. So it is NOT an F1.
                          ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                            But "Rosella" still a little confused as to this is an F1 or not! But fruit saved, will keep you updated!
                            Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
                            The only info given there is "UK". If it was a hybrid, column four would say "H" for hybrid, but it doesn't. So it is NOT an F1.
                            Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                            It is definitely not F1- it's from the same breeder as Sweet Aperitif

Thank you Thelma & Nellie!

Deano, we would all like to try the tomato to die for if you can spare some.

Comment

• Thank you, Scarlet, for still letting me on board!

I have grown and saved from quite a few varieties this year, so depending on what you all prefer I can offer the following.

My own favourites are
                              - a roundish black one I got years ago from the elderly couple that also gave me "Luzia's Oma". They've grown it for ages, it may even date back to GDR days. I've chosen "Schwarze Gerlinde" (the lady's name) as a working title until someone is hopefully able to identify it. A vigorous plant, easily the largest in the greenhouse and the plant outside is also really ambitious. I could never quite understand why people get so enthusiastic over black toms, I found my Black Russian rather boring and yes, Black Icicle is nice but not one I would die for... but this one I must say might be the best tasting tom I've ever had. Totally in love with it.

- Speckled Roman. The plants looked absolutely pathetic. Really. As if about to die of thirst, with wispy foliage that was hanging down like struck by some mysterious disease. If you had asked me early in summer, I would probably have said if they don't perk up soon, they'll go in the compost bin. But then they set fruit. Wow, wow, wow. Big, beautiful, very tasty, good number of fruits given their size, early enough to ripen, very definitely worth growing again.

- Cream Sausage. I believe I got the seeds from Scarlet, but this was the first year I grew them and very pleasantly surprised I am, too. Very nice firm texture for salads, beautiful and unusual colour and shape, good taste.

- Vesennij Mieurinskij. No, I don't know how to pronounce that, either. Don't worry, you don't have to say it, only sow it. I promise you won't regret it. Long trusses of delicious red cherries. None of them ever make it out of my greenhouse alive. Seed only gets saved from the ones that fall down unnoticed... originally from Dreschflegel.

Also ran: Orange Favourite, Orange Banana, Black Icicle, Hahms Gelbe Topftomate, Cyril's Choice, Gelbe Koenigin (which I grew alongside Aranyalma to see whether they're identical but they're not), Green Velvet (only a handful of ripe fruits from three plants so far so not sure whether seeds will be enough), Brad's Black Heart (grown in pots so only one fruit each just for saving but if someone's desperate I'll gladly share).
                              And a few others that have already been listed.
                              ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• I've been in the process of fermenting tomato seeds in egg cups but one batch decided to start sprouting roots so I'm trying a hybrid method of the cut and smear on kitchen towel and fermentation.

I'm soaking the seeds and getting most of the muck off then placing them in 8's in squares that are drawn on the kitchen towel that are zippy bag size.

So I have Amish Mayberry & Kibitz to offer
                                Attached Files
                                sigpic
                                . .......Man Vs Slug
                                Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...