Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time I've saved seeds too,I'm worried they won't germinate but we'll see,do we all let each other know how each others plants are growing,on this page? Or not growing but hopefully they'll grow normally? It would be nice to hear everyone's plants are growing well & if they're not we can chat about it & see what's happening? Does anyone separate the seeds separately on a paper plate so they don't all stick together when they dry,I think I might have got a bit too involved it did take ages,then when the seeds were dry I didn't want the oils from my fingertips moistening the seeds,so I didnt touch them to put them in a bag,I used a spoon & a bit of paper lol!

Comment

• Hi Scarlet

If you will still facilitate me, I will HOPEFULLY have Green Zebra & Sandpoint and maybe one other...Will post back when I am definite...
      Last edited by Tripmeup; 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM. Reason: changes mind
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

• Scarlet - so sorry for the delay, I've been taking exams so my heads been stuck in the wrong kind of books

I already have a load of golden queen seeds dried and saved and have another batch and a batch of gold rush currant fermenting - so if they're both still ok, and I'm not too late, I'm in!

When do you need to have the seeds by?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          First time I've saved seeds too,I'm worried they won't germinate
          Does anyone separate the seeds separately on a paper plate so they don't all stick together when they dry,I think I might have got a bit too involved it did take ages,then when the seeds were dry I didn't want the oils from my fingertips moistening the seeds,so I didnt touch them to put them in a bag,I used a spoon & a bit of paper lol!
          Don't worry, Jane, I'm sure they'll grow just fine. Well done for becoming a seed saver yourself, there's no turning back now

Sorry if I repeat myself - I have a small collection of plastic lids (small ones that fit on cat food tins and larger ones) and I let my tomato seeds dry on them. With a small number like Scarlet showed in her picture it's not a problem to let them dry in the cup but if you harvest from a number of toms at a time, like from several plants, that wouldn't be a good idea because it would take them too long to dry. They will not stick to the plastic lids' surface and are so easy to remove when dry.

And you don't have to worry about handling them, if they stick together - which they will - you can just rub them between your fingers, it won't do them any harm. The thing that harms seeds is moisture. The drier they get, the longer they live. Best is to put them in an airtight container once they are really really dry (like a jar with a twist-off cap) and keep the container in a cool place. That way tomato seeds will stay viable for years (I've had some germinate just fine after eight years).
          ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
            First time I've saved seeds too,I'm worried they won't germinate but we'll see,do we all let each other know how each others plants are growing,on this page?
            dont worry, they will be fine. I pour the water out of my cups. Spread the seeds around the sides with my fingers and when the dry they drop to the bottom. If any are stuck together I just rub them gently. I tip the seeds in my hands to bag up. If you are really worried you can test them by germinating a couple somewhere warm but I don't think you'll need to go that far!
            Good idea for a follow up thread...

Comment

• Trip and Vix...I'll put those varieties down Vix I would like to get them before xmas!

Comment

• Trying to show you the toms I'm sending but as I didn't have this circle in mind when I took the pictures I'll have to try and describe where to find them!

The unidentified black round one I got from Gerlinde is in the first picture, the one at the bottom, in the middle between the yellow ones. You can get an idea of the sizes - my first two Brad's Black Heart are in the middle (can you believe that there wasn't a SINGLE seed in the larger one!), three Green Velvets and a few scattered Smurfs.

"Speckled Roman" is on the outside surrounding the others, and also on picture nr. 3, together with "Tiger Green" I got from Australia, and which I suspect might be the same as "Green Zebra".

The second picture shows "Cream Sausage" in the top row, together with Green Velvet, Black Icicle and a few Smurfs.

And the last one I just added because it's such a good looking tom. Blaby Special - the tomato that brought me to the Vine!

PS. sorry about that thumbnail, can't figure out how to get rid of it, just ignore

Attached Files
                Last edited by nellie-m; 06-10-2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Fabulous looking toms Nellie!

Comment

• Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
                    Sorry if I repeat myself - I have a small collection of plastic lids (small ones that fit on cat food tins and larger ones) and I let my tomato seeds dry on them.
                    A picture is worth a 1000 words and they are off the top of Nutella jars

[
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Trip and Vix...I'll put those varieties down Vix I would like to get them before xmas!
                      Sorry Scarlet, make that Dark Galaxy and Probably Green Zebra
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

• First batch of "Rosella" almost dry!

Second batch on second day of fermenting on the kitchen window-sill along with the "Yellow Perfection"
                        The "Harbinger" I'll do over the next few days!

Think I could get quite addicted to this! ...............
                        Attached Files
                        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Last update for ios as put piccies back to full size!

Not before time I say!!!!!!!!!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                            First batch of "Rosella" almost dry!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69334[/ATTACH]

Second batch on second day of fermenting on the kitchen window-sill along with the "Yellow Perfection"
                            The "Harbinger" I'll do over the next few days!

Think I could get quite addicted to this! ...............
                            You separated those out so they were all equidistant!

Comment

• It IS addictive.
                              You are doomed, Deano.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                You separated those out so they were all equidistant!
                                Deano even dries his seeds in a tidy, orderly manner - although I think there are 2 seeds together, 2nd row from the bottom, near the centre

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X