Cavalo nero v Nero di Toscana v Cavalo nero di Toscana

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PW and Snadger
    I am growing Black Tuscan Kale (believe it's also called Palm Cabbage) way up here in Easter Ross and so far it is growing well - germinated no prob in the tunnel and has been hardening off ready for planting now for about a week - lost two plants out of 350 so it's okay by me, as we've had really cold winds and its stood up to them well.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Two sheds & Earthbabe

If you want to give it another go I happy to share my packet with you. On the packet it says that it should be sown by May... but with this weather I'm sure it will still be ok.

R

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
        My Cavelo Nero is now pricked out in modules and will be planted out in a few weeks. Just how hardy is it?
        Mine stood quite happily over the winter PW and indeed continued growing. It started going to seed before the ordinary kale but was otherwise fine. I think you'll find it originates in northern Italy and the winters can get quite cold up there. Mike Thurlow grows it at Audley End so we've been growing it in this country for a while.
        Last edited by Earthbabe; 26-06-2007, 12:59 PM.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Iam growing it for the first time this year.pricked them into 3inch pots last weekend.it seem to cope with weather here in manchester as fellow allotmenteers had growing on their plots last winter
          goddess

Comment

I think I may need to clarify my views on the hardiness of this kale. All kales are extremely hardy. Out of the five different kales I grew last year, this one put on the least growth of all, for me, but still performed well. So much so, that I am growing it again this year!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X