This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcsee View Post
    These people are grown adults - I'm sure they are capable of making their own decisions on what they want.

From an outsider looking in - it seems that the Circles can't run without you telling them what to do.
    They are grown adults - hence asking them what they want to do.

I'm not telling people what to do - I'm asking them what they want to do.

Hence a poll.

We seem to be going round in circles. It's a poll to ask people what THEY want to do.

People missed out last year because circles were full and [as per usual] I sorted it out so that everyone could join in. I started them in the first place, and I decided that instead of going straight in this year with what I wanted to do - I'd ask people.

And now it turns into ME telling people what to do.

I can't win can I?

Comment

Just an observation Zazen, don't take it personal.
      I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Just an observation Zazen, don't take it personal.
        You can't say 'it seems that the Circles can't run without you telling them what to do' without it being personal. That IS personal.

I have never said that people can't run circles; I've suggested that to get 16 people contributing you need 25 to start as so many drop out.

I haven't even voted myself on which circle/s I want to participate in....And the opening and supplementing posts are quite clear that this is a consultation process and ideas are welcomed.

Comment

If it takes 16 people to make a Circle, then get the first 16 interested people (in the type of vegetable etc) to join and then there is a Circle ready to go. No mind reading powers needed and no polls.
          Thats fine in theory! I missed out last year, didn't get in quick enough and the circles I fancied were full. I joined one that had a couple of people in hoping that there would be more takers - there were no more takers but a couple did drop out! I also checked out the circles that I really would have loved to have joined at the end of the season and it was disappointing to see so many drop out. Hopefully the poll will make people think before they jump in - have some idea of what they are able to save and what they would like in return, which should ensure that the others in the circle aren't left with a ton of seed that they won't be able to use theirselves. Do you need any parsnip seed??

Comment

If it takes 16 people to make a Circle, then get the first 16 interested people (in the type of vegetable etc) to join and then there is a Circle ready to go. No mind reading powers needed and no polls.
            I don't understand what your problem is Mcsee. Is it the use of the word "Poll"? If it were changed to "Expression of interest" or "Wish to participate" would that suit?
            This consultation exercise has been running for almost a month and only 50 people have expressed an interest in participating in a Circle. Some participants have voted for more than one option - I have. Three of the Circle options have reached 16 or over.
            If we take the Tomato circle as an example - it has 16 expressions of interest - so, by your reasoning the Circle would run with those and anyone else who wished to join would be too late.
            Also, I am sure that, even where there are less expressions of interest, those who are sufficiently keen, will run their own smaller circles.

Comment

Sorry if this is a silly question!
              But I have voted, but I don't have a computer at the moment.
              Running off my mobile is very slow.
              I am interested in a few of the seed circle groups.
              I understand I need a minimum of 50 post count.

But what else do I need to do?
              Is their somewhere that I can get all the info I need?

Thanks for your time
              And best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by super trowel View Post
                Sorry if this is a silly question!
                But I have voted, but I don't have a computer at the moment.
                Running off my mobile is very slow.
                I am interested in a few of the seed circle groups.
                I understand I need a minimum of 50 post count.

But what else do I need to do?
                Is their somewhere that I can get all the info I need?

Thanks for your time
                And best wishes!
                No you don't need 50 posts - you just need to save some seeds from your own crops - and send them into the circle manager [to be decided] with some stamps and you will get one bag of everyone's seeds back.

This is not for seed swapping, it's for seed saving and sharing the resultant seed bounty.

One of last year's is here

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...2-a_53735.html

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  I don't understand what your problem is Mcsee. Is it the use of the word "Poll"? If it were changed to "Expression of interest" or "Wish to participate" would that suit?

If we take the Tomato circle as an example - it has 16 expressions of interest - so, by your reasoning the Circle would run with those and anyone else who wished to join would be too late.

Also, I am sure that, even where there are less expressions of interest, those who are sufficiently keen, will run their own smaller circles.
                  I don't have a problem, or with the word Poll.

If the Circle fills with 16, then a second one can take it's place. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see how easy that part works.

So there you have it in the last sentence, people can run their own circles, whether smaller or 16.
                  I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

I don't have a problem, or with the word Poll.

If the Circle fills with 16, then a second one can take it's place. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see how easy that part works.

So there you have it in the last sentence, people can run their own circles, whether smaller or 16.
                    Sorry but if you stop the circle at 16, who is to say that another 16 will come along to make up another circle? By your method, you have excluded numbers 17 - 31 from the circle.
                    And someone has to start the ball rolling to get these circles up and running - why not do it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      Cos if you dont vote in the poll, (and get 25, or 20 votes) the circles dont run...so it's important to vote.
                      This was the bit that I disagreed with, but now that I know that it was wrong, I dont have a problem. All I meant was , if 3 or 4 people decide to go ahead, then so what? if its what they want

Comment

Originally posted by Davyburns View Post
                        This was the bit that I disagreed with, but now that I know that it was wrong, I dont have a problem. All I meant was , if 3 or 4 people decide to go ahead, then so what? if its what they want
                        Those are not my words...I only said that you would need 25 ish as so many drop out if you want 16 in the circle. With 3 or 4 people it's not a circle is it? You may as well just save your own seeds and swap them.

Comment

Bumping for last votes before we all make a collective decision.

Comment

I have to say the seed circles have worked for those that joined, and saw them through, I was in the chilli one last year, and yes, it was disappointing to see how many dropped out, I did, however, still end up with a good selection of chillies that I hadn't had before and donated my excess seed to the virtual seed parcel.
                            One thing that is often forgotten as people make assumptions and comment is that to make any of this work a lot of people give up their personal time to facilitate this forum, myself not being one of them as I don't currently have the time or commitment, to be more heavily involved. I do know, though, that on times I do get here I get a warm welcome and good advice (on all manner of things as well as gardening)
                            I'm sure Zaz, and some of the other mods, would be more than happy to share their workload with volunteers, who would actually see ideas and processes through to their end result.
                            Last edited by T8Ter; 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM.
                            "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I agree that it's been great to share seeds, even if it didn't work exactly as planned. I'm happy to help in this year's organisation, whatever the approach.

Comment

I’m a fan of seed swaps it seems a super way to share with others and in a little way help support minority or hard to come by varieties, oh and save some money too. I enjoyed the pea and bean swap last year, but unfortunately a bit of a disaster with my squash and was unable produce anything of interest for the Cucurbits one. I love a general swap as it’s a great way to try fruit/veggies you’d perhaps not thought to grow before. I think I’d find 32 packets x2 or whatever quite time consuming.

Look forward to reading which circles come out tops
                                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X