Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, you make me happy - it's nice to hear how pleased you all are! I admit I threw in a few unexpected surprises and I can't help looking forward to yours - although I did tell you not to tempt me, didn't I?

Maybe I should let you decide which three varieties to choose from my wish list for the seed archive?
    I selected at least twenty, all colours, and have to boil it down to three or four at the very most, because that's all I can grow... and I just can't make up my mind, I want them all
    (and what's worse, I haven't even had a look at their list of beans!)

Nellie
    ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

no point asking us, we'll tell you to grow them all

Comment

Hi Nellie M - got a lovely surprise from Germany this morning. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement...so shattered after all that wallpapering and this made my day today. Thank you so much - will post my pics when I start germinating, well not me personally
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Hi VVG, you're very welcome - you see, the postage was the same, whether I sent one bag or more - and I really saved enough so...

I just hope they'll do well in your different climate and soil conditions, and that you'll like them all.

Comment

Oops, it seems the post I tried to make just before the forums went down this morning didn't actually get posted.

My seeds arrived on Thursday and what a lovely surprise Nellie - you didn't have to send that many!! Thank you so much indeed Merry Christmas!
            xx
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nellie-m View Post
              Hi VVG, you're very welcome - you see, the postage was the same, whether I sent one bag or more - and I really saved enough so...

I just hope they'll do well in your different climate and soil conditions, and that you'll like them all.
              Well I am delighted - there must be something you would like but can't get maybe...have a think and let me know. You deserve an early Christmas present too
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Blaby tomatoes. Know anyone who has them?

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                  there must be something you would like but can't get maybe...
                  oh yes, someone to help me with the digging and more hours in a day ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                    Blaby tomatoes
                    well, there was an article about them that really made me curious. I have friends who live near Blaby, who had never heard of them before - retired people who should remember something, at least someone talking about them, because according to this article, the Blaby tomatoes were famous and very popular. It made me wonder whether it was really a special variety, or whether the farm was just very efficient in growing a normal, commercial variety of the time.

Comment

well, there was an article about them that really made me curious. I have friends who live near Blaby, who had never heard of them before - retired people who should remember something, at least someone talking about them, because according to this article, the Blaby tomatoes were famous and very popular. It made me wonder whether it was really a special variety, or whether the farm was just very efficient in growing a normal, commercial variety of the time.
                      Blaby, as in Leicestershire?
                      You are aware that the UK's tomato growing centre used to be in Bretby, all of 25 miles away from Blaby. On Lord Carnavon's old estate (he of King Tut fame). I have tried to find out more about the history but not much is known about it or the old varieties grown there. There was a "Bretby" variety sold in the local garden centre but sadly they stopped three years ago, owing to a lack of local interest. Wish I had known Zazen then so I could have learned to save the seed...ho hum!

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                        Blaby tomatoes. Know anyone who has them?
                        I might take a trek out to local garden centres come Tom time and have a look. Not far for me...

Comment

oh yes, someone to help me with the digging and more hours in a day ;-)
                          A long way to come for Mr VVG but I'll try to put him in the post

Comment

OOh Nellie, you lovely lady! Got back from a hectic school fair where we tried to raise funds for our school group and there they were on the mat! How wonderful of you! Our school garden will be overflowing with toms this year! Theres enough for me to try some at home too!

Thankyou! xxx
                            http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                              There was a "Bretby" variety sold in the local garden centre but sadly they stopped three years ago, owing to a lack of local interest.
                              Aaargh! Three years! Go pester them! Tomato seeds will remain viable for about four years, so if they will just give you two or three of them, that'll do! Sit down on their desk and say you won't move until they've sold you some

Comment

Oh and yes, VVG, Blaby in Leicestershire.
                                Here's the article, and don't miss the third photo in the little album.
                                They were the pride and joy of Blaby – before they were wiped out in the 1940s. | This is Leicestershire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X